Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Radial Extractor Help  (Read 3513 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Radial Extractor Help
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:21:05 am »
I am going to be buying a extractor this weekend to take advantage of the sales that some are having. I am looking at the Brushy Mtn 9 Frame Power Radial Extractor w/Italian motor, Maxants 9 frame power extractor and Mann Lakes HH-163 Motorized 8/4 Frame Extractor. There seems to be things I like/dislike about each of these extractor and could use some help sorting it all out from those that may have them. I like the Brushy Mtn 9 Frame power extractor but the plastic basket seems to stop me from purchasing it. The Maxant seems to have a good following but it doesn't seem to me to be a true radial extractor. The Mann Lakes HH-163 is of the size I am looking for but I can't find anyone or any pictures of the basket it uses but it seems to be similar to the Maxant. All of the extractors are with-in a $100.00 or so of each other with the sale price and or free shipping. All in all the Brushy Mtn seems to be a true radial extractor but I can't get over it having a plastic basket and yes it is not US made. Does anyone have one of these extractors that they could comment on. I have 4 hives now but will never have more that 6 or 8.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Radial Extractor Help
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
The Maxant seems to have a good following but it doesn't seem to me to be a true radial extractor.

I don't have any of these extractors but I don't know why you say that.  Looking at the design of the basket it looks radial to me.  The only draw back might be what size frame fits in the three reduced bracket positions.  I would guess not a deep.  One thing I didn't like is the bottom bearing swimming in honey if it is not a sealed bearing.  If it is why did the guy in the video mention lubing it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:20 pm »
Billdean,
I have the Mann Lake 18/9 motorized extractor, it is all stainless and very well built. The Mann Lake you are looking at, I looked at the instructions for it and it is all stainless. I do not know what your sale price is but there is only about $150 difference between the one you are looking at and the 18/9. If that is the only difference I would definitely go for the 18/9. 8 good hives can produce over 20 medium supers in a good year. Having the 18/9 would really make a big difference with that many supers. I have 9 hives produce over 50 medium supers in one year, 3 different extractions.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
Over 5 mediums per hive Jim?  You da man.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:02:37 pm »
It was only that good one year. It helped that the commercial beeks decided not to bring their hives to the area around my farm that year. When i took the hives back into town and put the empty supers back on the hives, instead of cleaning them, they filled them back up and I then had a good flaw for a third extraction.
I didn't even come close to the Beek in the Tampa area that had 4 hives and extracted 1600 pounds of honey from them in one year. That's 400 pounds per hive  Selling it for $10 a pound, he made $16,000. He had it all documented.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »
Wow!  Be careful.  All the old folks want to move to FL because of the snow and ice.  If you let on that you can make money with bees.  More than half of FL will be Yankee.  Probably screw up the electoral college.  All those liberal beekeepers moving down for good. :-)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:02 pm »
It was only that good one year. It helped that the commercial beeks decided not to bring their hives to the area around my farm that year. When i took the hives back into town and put the empty supers back on the hives, instead of cleaning them, they filled them back up and I then had a good flaw for a third extraction.
I didn't even come close to the Beek in the Tampa area that had 4 hives and extracted 1600 pounds of honey from them in one year. That's 400 pounds per hive  Selling it for $10 a pound, he made $16,000. He had it all documented.
Jim

WOW
This was my first year of bee keeping. I did extract 4 supers and got about 8 gallons of honey from 4 hives. Some say thats pretty good for the first year of packaged bees though I sure left them with a lot more than I took. Hopefully they will survive the winter here. At least I am planning for that to happen. Thats why I am looking for an extractor now. I am planning only on 6 or possible 8 hives maximum. I am leaning toward the Maxant 9F 3100P. It will be easier for me to store and I believe from what I have read will do me a good job for years to come. I did like the Brushy Mtn too but didn't want a plastic basket. The Danant looked like a fine machine also and the basket was the best out of what I could see. I wasn't very sold on the smaller Mann Lake ones though. Maxant was the least expensive at $800.00.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 09:01:31 am »
Maxant was the least expensive at $800.00.

Does that price get it to your door?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:09 am »
So they say...its supposed to be shipped free but I haven't been able to get through to Maxant yet. I did get an e-mail from Jake stating free shipping. I will try again Monday