ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Breaking a Broody Hen

(1/11) > >>

The15thMember:
My sisters have a chicken who just won't stop being broody.  We don't want any more chicks at the moment, and they've tried all their usual tricks, but this hen just won't go back to normal.  Any ideas or tips to break a broody hen out of her broodiness?

gww:
We put ours in a cage for two or three days and they get better though some chickens might try two to three different times during the year.  Try and let them get a little light while caged and I read once if they lay an egg you don't have to wait the full three days.  I will be honest, many times two days will do it and one will not.
Cheers

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on August 08, 2023, 02:57:29 pm ---My sisters have a chicken who just won't stop being broody.  We don't want any more chicks at the moment, and they've tried all their usual tricks, but this hen just won't go back to normal.  Any ideas or tips to break a broody hen out of her broodiness?

--- End quote ---

If gwws way don't work, try the following.

Pick the bird up and wait for it to calm down. Grab the bird's legs with your nondominant hand. Gently rotate the chicken so that their feet are pointing up towards your chest. Grip both of the bird's feet firmly near the base of their backside to keep the bird still. Wrap your fingers around the bird's neck. You get the picture, if completed this will stop a broody chicken 'every time'!! ..     
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:   :wink:  :grin:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on August 08, 2023, 04:23:07 pm ---If gwws way don't work, try the following.

Pick the bird up and wait for it to calm down. Grab the bird's legs with your nondominant hand. Gently rotate the chicken so that their feet are pointing up towards your chest. Grip both of the bird's feet firmly near the base of their backside to keep the bird still. Wrap your fingers around the bird's neck. You get the picture, if completed this will stop a broody chicken 'every time'!! ..     
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:   :wink:  :grin:

--- End quote ---
Mm-hmm, yeah, I see what you did there.  :wink:

Ben Framed:
 :wink: :cheesy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version