Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wanted: Mighty Mite thermal treatment unit  (Read 13999 times)

Offline Squish

• New Bee
Wanted: Mighty Mite thermal treatment unit
« on: February 10, 2022, 01:06:45 pm »
Looking for a Mighty Mite thermal treatment unit,  thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:37:25 pm by BeeMaster2 »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wanted: Mighty Mite thermal treatment unit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 07:36:42 pm »
Squish,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Please read the bylaws. Offering to pay for something is against the bylaws.
You may notice we have a TRADING POST, this forum is for SWAPPING items for other items. Feel free to detail the items, but only list items you wish to trade or swap, and do not put a dollar value on the product - anyone interested in what you are trying to exchange or purchase, they will contact you. If prices are found in the forums (especially if the "price" had to be removed by a moderator because the member posting is selling something he manufactured or is selling as a business) then the entire post will be removed and you will likely be banned especially if this is a second infraction. Note: all prices if posted in public forums will be removed, along with the post by the moderators discretion - talk about your items in anyway, but keep prices out or likely the post will disappear and you will be notified of why. Blatant disregards to this rule will lead to banishment. Our forums will not be a place where anyone setups up a store front and uses us as their website shopping cart.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 09:37:00 pm »
I?m so sorry, I guess I missed the no prices part, I?m afraid I have nothing to swap as I?m brand new to beekeeping, just looking for a used thermal unit as they look to be indefinitely backordered by the manufacturer.  Completely unintentional, I saw that one can?t post items they are manufacturing as a store front, thought posting about an item wanted was ok though. Is it ok to post about an item wanted if one doesn?t post any prices but one doesn?t have anything to trade?  Just trying to understand so I don?t make any more mistakes, thank you.

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 10:07:12 pm »
Not sure why the Tapatalk app changed all my apostrophes to question marks, oh well.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 10:22:33 pm »
See PM.
For some reason Beemaster changes several punctuation characters to question marks. We have not been able to correct this.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 11:42:12 pm »
Squish if you are not having any luck finding a used one perhaps you can make your own? I am posting a copy of a reply on another topic from November 2019. Perhaps it will spark your interest, leading to a solution.

Phillip

PS Welcome to Beemaster!

TOPIC:  ProVap EZ 110
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 11:58:27 am

Quote from: Live Oak on November 12, 2019, 11:29:03 am
Live Oak
I still use thermal treatment.  I just got far behind due to medical and family commitments.  In my opinion, thermal treatment works best by far but is very time consuming especially when treating large numbers to hives.  I rotate back and forth between OAV and thermal.

I DO NOT recommend MAQS or Formic Pro in the strongest terms unless you want to risk poisoning your bees.

Ben Framed
Mr Live oak, I use an InkBird PID Temperature Controller (mini-computer I suppose), for my own vaporizer. This is used along with a thermocouple to insure pin-point temperature accuracy. I am thinking that perhaps you can design your own units to fit your needs,  possibly with similar basic equipment needed to control temperature inside the hive, to accomplish a safe, accurate treatment that you desire. This way you can run several units at a time., as many as your imagination will entertain, instead of running one at a time. Allowing you to reduce your treatment time down by volumes? This should be fairly easy to accomplish?

Phillip
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:46:08 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 12:53:06 am »
Thanks Philip!  I wish that wasn?t so far out of my skill set or I would totally consider it. Alas, while I can make things, the electronic components of it are way past my understanding. I know there is another unit out there, the Victor, but I?m having trouble finding any user reviews on that one which makes me a bit nervous. Lots of positive reviews on the Mighty Mite, but don?t know how long it will be before the manufacturer is able to resume production. I need to go searching to see if anyone locally might have one they would rent out until I can locate one.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 09:48:01 pm »
I would ask your local State Apiary License Inspector.  They know everybody! And they hear what people use, and if they know of someone who has a MM unit, can put you in touch with them. 

Here in Fla. all the apiary licensees are public records and you can get their phone #s.  Someone might rent theirs to you for a few days.

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 09:49:41 pm »
I was finally able to locate a used one, but thank you for the advice

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 11:03:52 am »
Squish let us know how this works out for you.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:18 pm »
I ran a treatment on the hive I was really worried about about a week ago and so far am super happy with it. Dead mites should be continuing to drop into the bottom tray for about two more weeks according to the experts in the mighty mite group that I follow, and then I should be good until much later in the season.  Tons of dead mites in the tray each time I check, and the bees seen super happy and strong, I?m looking forward to treating my other hive soon

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 01:38:58 am »
Squish any news or updates for us? I am very interested.

Phillip

Offline Squish

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 02:32:23 am »
Hi Phillip, honestly I?m really happy with the Mighty Mite, I did two treatments on each of my hives that had a heavy mite load, one early in the spring (our spring started very early this year here), and one more recently. Both hives are now doing great with low mite counts. I?m expecting to do another treatment on each in the fall to prepare them for winter. I?m thinking this is a great option for someone with a handful of hives, for more than about 5 or 6 I could see it not being as convenient, but I?m also learning ways to streamline the process to make it a bit simpler which helps.  If this is something you are interested in, I would recommend the Facebook user group Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Users - the inventor/seller of the unit answers a lot of questions on there and there are plenty of users with really great info. Lynn is still having supply chain problems getting the parts to manufacture new units, but sometimes people post used units on there for sale (that?s how I found mine), and Lynn also keeps a waiting list for once he is able to resume production. I would highly recommend it. Happy to answer any questions that I can.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 06:39:00 pm »
Hi Phillip, honestly I?m really happy with the Mighty Mite, I did two treatments on each of my hives that had a heavy mite load, one early in the spring (our spring started very early this year here), and one more recently. Both hives are now doing great with low mite counts. I?m expecting to do another treatment on each in the fall to prepare them for winter. I?m thinking this is a great option for someone with a handful of hives, for more than about 5 or 6 I could see it not being as convenient, but I?m also learning ways to streamline the process to make it a bit simpler which helps.  If this is something you are interested in, I would recommend the Facebook user group Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Users - the inventor/seller of the unit answers a lot of questions on there and there are plenty of users with really great info. Lynn is still having supply chain problems getting the parts to manufacture new units, but sometimes people post used units on there for sale (that?s how I found mine), and Lynn also keeps a waiting list for once he is able to resume production. I would highly recommend it. Happy to answer any questions that I can.
Thanks so much for the update, Squish!  It's great to hear good reviews on the Mighty Mite.  It's an interesting option for mite treatments. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 08:53:28 pm »
Squish,
Thank you for your response and update! And thank you for the tip about the user group Mighty Mite Thermal Treatment Users.

Phillip