ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Butchering Our First Goat

<< < (6/7) > >>

.30WCF:
I?m a little late and don?t have any domestic goat experience, but antelope and deer are very similar. Those front shanks are the best part. Next time, keep the shanks out of the grind and wear then braise them. Serve in the gravy over mashed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: .30WCF on December 05, 2021, 10:13:51 pm ---I?m a little late and don?t have any domestic goat experience, but antelope and deer are very similar. Those front shanks are the best part. Next time, keep the shanks out of the grind and wear then braise them. Serve in the gravy over mashed potatoes.

--- End quote ---
Those pictures are not as related as you are assuming.  We didn't grind up the legs; that's just a picture of the legs, and a picture of the ground meat, which was from trimmings.  :smile: 

.30WCF:
Ah.
I add 20% ribeye fat to my grind. It?s pretty cheap if you ask the butcher at the grocery store to keep it for you. I sometimes get it from a fried that raises and sells meat at farmers markets.

As far as the loins go, a lot of game meat or lean meat needs to be med-rare, braised or roasted down long and low to be edible. I do a venison back strap on the grill with a coat of olive oil, salt and pepper and a minced garlic clove for about 5 minutes on each side and let rest. It?s pretty ?juicy? if you can stand that but it?s good. I like a spoon of horseradish on the plate to dip into.

.30WCF:
Do you like potstickers? I have a god recipe for that.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: .30WCF on December 05, 2021, 10:41:14 pm ---Ah.
I add 20% ribeye fat to my grind. It?s pretty cheap if you ask the butcher at the grocery store to keep it for you. I sometimes get it from a fried that raises and sells meat at farmers markets.

As far as the loins go, a lot of game meat or lean meat needs to be med-rare, braised or roasted down long and low to be edible. I do a venison back strap on the grill with a coat of olive oil, salt and pepper and a minced garlic clove for about 5 minutes on each side and let rest. It?s pretty ?juicy? if you can stand that but it?s good. I like a spoon of horseradish on the plate to dip into.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: .30WCF on December 05, 2021, 10:42:23 pm ---Do you like potstickers? I have a god recipe for that.

--- End quote ---
I've actually never had potstickers, but I know people who rave about them.  My mom will take any recipes you have for meat like this.  She's never cooked with it before and is looking for any help she can get. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version