ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Any wild hogs in your area?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on April 29, 2021, 03:45:26 pm ---Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.

--- End quote ---

There is a fellow that I know that played football at Mississippi State. He hog hunts in the Mississippi Delta behind the River levee. He was telling me of one of his buddies that was attacked on a hunt and was cut severely in the leg. They took him immediately to a small local hospital where he was treated and seemed fine, but later died from the wound. Infection I suppose.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on April 29, 2021, 03:45:26 pm ---Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.

--- End quote ---
:angry: You are giving my baby bunnies nightmares, Alan! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Ben Framed:
Cool, Everything sounds good except the house cat!  :cheesy: :wink: :tongue:

Rabbit; Yum!

BeeMaster2:
I had a large boar on my property back in 2005, never saw another one until I added on another 50 acres. Had a medium size one and a baby destroying my pastures this year. Tried hunting them but never found them. I talked to a neighbor that is raising them. He denied it but I?m pretty sure his pigs got out and them he was able to capture them again. We have not had any damage since I talked to him.
Jim Altmiller

paus:
Lots of hogs on my place, Wed. night they rooted within 3 feet of some hives.  Never had any trouble with them around bees but they make planting crops impossible until I level the ground.  Three weeks ago there was a wild hog tournament  and some friends caught 36  hogs over 60 pounds in one night on my place and the next ranch in one night. They came in second.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version