ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Hatched Chicks

<< < (7/7)

Ben Framed:
Thanks for posting the pictures! Mason and Nova are big dogs. Yall are doing a good job with your animals and flock. Do you get plenty of eggs to feed your family? I suppose being covered up in eggs says it all! lol Keep up the good work and thanks for the update.

Ben Framed:
Adding, I enjoyed the trip through the barnyard.   :happy:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on November 19, 2020, 05:14:22 pm ---Adding, I enjoyed the trip through the barnyard.   :happy:

--- End quote ---
Glad you liked looking at everyone!  :happy:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on November 19, 2020, 05:08:58 pm ---Do you get plenty of eggs to feed your family?

--- End quote ---
At the moment we are just barely, since all the hens slowed down their egg laying during the molt, and many of the youngest hens aren't laying at full capacity yet, but we'll get back to a surplus soon enough.  :smile:     

BeeMaster2:
Member,
Do you have a light on in your henhouse?
If not, get an led bulb and one of those metal reflector lights that will hold onto a 2x4. They often sell them as heat lamps for chicks. Get a Christmas light timer that has a dawn plus 4 hours setting and plug the light into it. Get one that has an actual manual switch setting. The electronic ones are a pain in the neck because every time the power goes out, they reset to off.
By adding 4 hours of light, your hens will start laying at full capacity. It usually takes 3 weeks of extra light for the hens to start laying again. I just added lights to our 2 hen houses this week. I turn them off in the summer.
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on November 20, 2020, 04:16:41 am ---Member,
Do you have a light on in your henhouse?
If not, get an led bulb and one of those metal reflector lights that will hold onto a 2x4. They often sell them as heat lamps for chicks. Get a Christmas light timer that has a dawn plus 4 hours setting and plug the light into it. Get one that has an actual manual switch setting. The electronic ones are a pain in the neck because every time the power goes out, they reset to off.
By adding 4 hours of light, your hens will start laying at full capacity. It usually takes 3 weeks of extra light for the hens to start laying again. I just added lights to our 2 hen houses this week. I turn them off in the summer.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the tip, but our hens actually don't have trouble laying through the winter normally.  We've debated on doing a light in the chicken shed, but we've never really found it to be necessary.  The new hens just aren't at full laying capacity yet because they are young and they only started laying a month or two ago.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version