ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Mushrooms are in

<< < (2/3) > >>

jalentour:
Something like this?

A few shiitake mushrooms added to the cremini or button mushrooms can really dial up the mushroom flavor in this mushroom pie, so if you have them, use them! If not, no worries, the mushroom pie will still be wonderful without them.
Ingredients

1 basic pie dough recipe, rolled out and lining a 9 or 10-inch pie dish, or 8x8 baking dish, frozen for at least 30 minutes (or one deep-dish frozen pie crust)
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 lb cremini or button mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    4 to 5 shiitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced (optional)
    1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup cream
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    A dash of ground cardamom or nutmeg (optional)
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup (4 ounces) grated Monterey Jack cheese

Sounds good.

Seeb:
That one sound good too.  I use Camille Glenn's recipe and use all Shiitake and a tad more cream since Shiitake soak up so much liquid.

Ben Framed:
How do you store the mushrooms once you harvest them? How long will they stay edible once stored?

Seeb:
Ben - I always stored mine in brown paper bags in a cool location, but sold at the farmers market so they didn't last long.  If I knew I wouldn't be able to sell - market not going on, I dried them, sealed in bags and sold or cooked with them myself.

Jvalentour's pic below shows mushrooms that are perfect for cutting. You want to harvest before they lose the cup around the edges.

gww:
I grew mushrooms indoors last year.  I did shitaki and oyster.  I decided I did not like the shitaki though my wife liked them very well.  I did like the oyster though.  They taste a little more like a morel.  It is almost mushroom season here for morel and maybe I will find a few.  I decided to quit growing the mushrooms indoors cause I got tired of the pressure cooker and all my logs being all over the place all the time and had a pretty inconsistent pattern of keeping the logs from getting contaminated.  It was a fun project though.  I did give a bunch of ice cream pail type straw logs of oyster mushrooms to my family members so they could enjoy a batch or two for themselves.  Good luck and yours look really nice.

Cheers
gww

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version