BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Gorilla Glue Problem

(1/5) > >>

FatherMichael:
Thought I'd try some polyurethane glue for a bait hive today.

Not sure I like it.  It foams out onto surfaces that I want to stain.  The hive will sit in the yard of a friend with a known bee tree nearby; so, I want it to look nice for their sake.

How do you get rid of that foaming glue residue?

BeeMaster2:
Father,
The trick to dealing with this is to let the glue dry enough that it isn?t a liquid any more but not fully hardened. At this point you can easily scrape it off. I use a box blade laid flat against the wood to cut it cleanly off, usually I cut from both sides. Then I turn the blade up vertically and scrape it sideways to remove the remaining glue.
Once it has hardened, you can cut it but it is a lot harder to do.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller

FatherMichael:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on February 25, 2020, 06:20:25 am ---Father,
The trick to dealing with this is to let the glue dry enough that it isn?t a liquid any more but not fully hardened. At this point you can easily scrape it off. I use a box blade laid flat against the wood to cut it cleanly off, usually I cut from both sides. Then I turn the blade up vertically and scrape it sideways to remove the remaining glue.
Once it has hardened, you can cut it but it is a lot harder to do.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Jim!

Kathyp:
The other thing about it is to buy small bottles or at least no more than you think you will use quickly.  It tends to harden in the bottle.  To delay that, squeeze all the air out before you cap it. 

I love the stuff, but it has its negatives!

FatherMichael:

--- Quote from: kathyp on February 25, 2020, 12:46:42 pm ---The other thing about it is to buy small bottles or at least no more than you think you will use quickly.  It tends to harden in the bottle.  To delay that, squeeze all the air out before you cap it. 

I love the stuff, but it has its negatives!

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Katy.

Had to clean it up with a Dremel before staining.

Now to get it off my hands!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version