BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

The benefits of wood-rotting fungi

<< < (4/4)

paus:
I have many many dead trees on my place.  Years ago I would cut them if there was any firewood in them but now I leave them for the woodpeckers and now for the fungi after reading this post.  I have several pileated woodpeckers in these trees, and I have seen them eating dead bees in front of hives.  Looks like a win, win situation.

Seeb:
looks like I have my work cut out for me with boning-up on all the new things I'm reading about in this thread.  First of all, thank you Al Stein for posting this information.
FG - since I grow a lot heirloom vegetables, tomatoes, cukes, etc and am in a hot and humid climate as well, I'm very interested in using Smilax as an anti-fungal - and I have a ready supply of it.

yes2matt:

--- Quote from: FloridaGardener on April 26, 2019, 01:31:52 am ---I've already been using Smilax (Greenbriar weed, a/k/a Sasparilla) as anti-fungal for plants in my garden. I live in the wettest part of Florida and need antifungals.  I just throw a couple of Smilax roots in a 5-gal bucket of water for a week, then pour the orange water into a pump sprayer.  It's free non-toxic fungicide, and when you're done, you can use the rest for root beer. lol!

--- End quote ---
Whoa, wait a minute. I know what smilax is (wanna see my scratched up ankles?) but I didn't know that was Sarsaparilla. Nor a fungicide. It's super humid here too (I have a big pond) and I don't use any -icides, so I'll have to check this out.

As for my bees, there's plenty of rotten woods, tho no birch, around so maybe that helps. I'm starting to have extra motivation to build a hugelkultur bed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version