BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Wax candles

<< < (4/6) > >>

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on May 27, 2020, 02:20:57 pm ---
Great story, and that's absolutely amazing that your mother can glass blow.  I had the pleasure of visiting the Corning Glass Museum in NY when I was a kid and it was amazing!   

--- End quote ---

15th - I grew up near the Corning Glass Works. As I kid I'd sit for hours watching the Glass Blowers at work there. Usually 20 to 40 of them. My favorite - they'd always hand over bags of glass marbles to us kids.  :grin: Great memories, and an amazing place!

Jurassic - great story, and very true! Your mother is a smart woman.  :cool:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on May 27, 2020, 03:53:24 pm ---15th - I grew up near the Corning Glass Works. As I kid I'd sit for hours watching the Glass Blowers at work there. Usually 20 to 40 of them. My favorite - they'd always hand over bags of glass marbles to us kids.  :grin: Great memories, and an amazing place!

--- End quote ---
That is so cool!  Kids today never do stuff like that anymore. 

Ben Framed:
JurassicApiary, Cool and Member,I really enjoyed reading the comments from you three. Your stories added charter to the already good information that was posted way back then. Also thank y'all for the added information. Brian D Bray was quite a fellow. I have read much of his work here at beemaster. I would have never thought of braiding feed sack strings to make wicks. Do any of yall make candles as he described? I will confess, I have never lit or even had a beeswax candle. YET...... 

:happy:

CoolBees:
Phillip - I've never made wax candles, but I'm going to.

A couple years ago, I stopped at a friend's store in Montana and he had beeswax candles for sale for $3 ea. I asked him how many he had. I bought 3.5 cases of candles. He calls me a week later - very unhappy. Says "their $20 now!".  :cool: ... I knew what I was buying.  :grin:

I think the price varies a lot by location. Here in California they are very expensive also.

If I was going into candle making - I'd buy or build good quality molds. I definitely think there's money in them, if you live in the right market. ... candle dipping also looks interesting  ...

Ben Framed:
Thanks for sharing that Alan. Sounds good! What design or style candle was that? Size?
Thanks Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version