BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Dipping tapers

<< < (5/9) > >>

VolunteerK9:

--- Quote from: AllenF on December 22, 2010, 10:09:50 pm ---The prescription meds or the liquid (may intensify the effects) meds?

--- End quote ---

well..i dunno...how can you tell which one is doing what? i have taken both  :evil:

BeesNeeds:
question... what is your stringing pattern for the wicks? It was kind of hard to tell but it looked like in the end the wicks were perfectly measured.. Do you string every other notch till all the way around, or string opposite notches till done? Also, how are you tying the wick on and off?

And you made your rack disks out of metal, and I don't really have that type of equipment. Could I make the disks out of wood instead?

Outstandingly informative video BTW :)

ziffabeek:
Great video!  do you use just straight melted beeswax? Or is anything mixed in?

I would really love to try this.  Wonder how long it would take me to collect enough wax with my one hive!? lol

Thanks for posting this!

love,
ziffa

hardwood:
Thanks for the feedback. It makes me feel good that ya'll are able to get something from it :)

BeesNeeds, I don't see why a wooden frame wouldn't work unless it would try to float too much...give it a try! Each of my dipping racks has a small hole in the bottom plate to start the wick. I thread the wick up through the hole and tie a figure eight knot making sure to leave about two inches if tag end. I wind the wick up to a notch (let's say notch 1) then back down at notch 4, come back at the bottom to notch 3, up and then across to notch 6, back to notch 5 at the bottom and so forth. This leaves notch 2 open to bring the wick back down when the rack is full and tie off to that tag end left hanging. Hope that helps...if you need I'll take a pic for you.

Ziffa, I use just straight bees wax but you can add colorants and scents too. The 100% beeswax and all cotton wick seems to be a pretty strong selling point...just sold a bunch to a LMT from Miami that uses them in her massage practice. It'll take a while to build your wax stash with only one hive for sure! If you'd like I can hook you up with a friend that sells and ships beeswax at a really reasonable rate...several from this site have bought from her.

Peace be yours,
Scott

BeesNeeds:
sweet, the stringing pattern makes total sense to me.. but then, I play with circular weaving and trim making, stuff like that.. Maybe post a pic so everyone can see anyway?
Extra easy and nice to only need one finishing hole in the base plate.

and lol... when showing the video to my hubby, I said "wow, I could use your brewing kettle for this!" and he said "no way".. I said "for the boiling of water, not the melting of wax", and he said "nope, wax could drip into the water, and mess up the kettle for brewing"
So.. does wax get into the boiling water? Or is it just a matter of being neat and just shaking it off over the wax pot? I don't want to accidentally wreck his kettle if it will leave any trace wax from drips in it..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version