BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Coates 5-Frame Nuc

<< < (3/19) > >>

Pink Cow:
Just put one together this afternoon and I am extremely happy with the result. I had Home Depot cut the ply twice for me so I had four 2x4 foot pieces to bring home, each of them good for one full box. Even though the wood was more than $10, I still was able to do each box for $4. Everything went together just beautifully and the five frames fit very well with good clearances where they should be. I did make one small change though, as something occurred to my as I was out this morning watching the activity around my full hive and nuc. I decided to cut the entrance opening the full width of the front board so I'd be able to use an entrance feeder with it.

Again, thank you for providing this. It is so well thought-out.

KD4MOJ:

--- Quote from: Pink Cow on March 21, 2010, 08:20:52 pm ---I had Home Depot cut the ply twice for me so I had four 2x4 foot pieces to bring home, each of them good for one full box.
--- End quote ---

hey PC... that is good to know that worked. i'm going to try and make it to HD this week.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

beee farmer:
I use almost exactly the same desgn, only diffrence is I use 3/4" for the ends and run them through the dado blade, gives the frames plenty to sit one and stiffins the whole thing up also I install 2 treated runners underneath to keep moisture off box.  I got 100 of them and am very pleased with the ease of use, economy and performance.

Pink Cow:
Top Bar Too?

It occurred to me after building my first from these plans that it could easily be tweaked for use as a top bar nuc or swarm trap. You could of course, reduce the overall length to fit your bars but that would limit its use to only top bars. I was thinking of simply adding a bar far enough back from the front wall where the fronts of the bars would rest,  just like a regular frame would on the designed void. It will hold five 1 3/8 inch bars. If done with small screws, this would be easily removable to return the nuc to "Lang style" duties.

Sound reasonable? Am I overlooking any gotchas?

D Coates:
It does sound reasonable.  I'm not sure how they'll build down the sides though, I've never done a TBH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version