ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Can I shoot his cows?

(1/8) > >>

Keith13:
Ok here is the situation. I have a neighbor a few lots over from me that keep cows. My property used to have cows on it that my cousin kept. This year we removed the cows from my property. Over the last few months I have noticed cow manure and other signs of grazing on my property. I asked my cousin if somehow they were his cows and he pointed me to my neighbor. Well I walked through the woods to go talk to the guy and as I’m walking up to his fence I notice the lack of barbwire it has holes all in his fence that the cows come and go through. I spoke with him about this and he told me it would cost him too much to fix the whole fence, and there wasn’t a lot he could do about it. He told me to go ahead and keep my fence that my cousins used to keep up in good order and that would take care of the cows coming into my fields. I want to cut holes in my fence so I don’t have to cross a fence every time I want to go into my woods (that would still be grazed by his cows) So I guess my question is can I shoot his cows when they are on my property?  Seems to me fixing his fence would cost him a lot less than replacing his cows.
Anybody knows the law on this.

Keith

Jerrymac:
I take it you live out in the country?
You have told the guy about his cows trespassing on your property so next call the county sheriff and ask him if you can shoot the cow and have it for dinner. Of course the sheriff is invited over for BBQ  :-D

Keith13:
Jerry I live in the city but the property is in the country. One of the biggest problems I run into is the locals like to stick together. In other words when I spoke with the sheriff he told me there is no way his cows would come on to my property. He must have purty smart cows.
 :roll:
Keith

Robo:

--- Quote from: Keith13 on May 11, 2009, 02:36:24 pm ---Jerry I live in the city but the property is in the country. One of the biggest problems I run into is the locals like to stick together. In other words when I spoke with the sheriff he told me there is no way his cows would come on to my property. He must have purty smart cows.
 :roll:
Keith

--- End quote ---

Well there ya go,   when there is a dead cow in your field, there is no way it can be his. :evil:

Jerrymac:
Gee. That is a tough one. Since you are the outsider I suggest you find out exactly what legal grounds you have.

There was a bit of a question on this old travel trailer I just got. It had been sitting on this persons property before they bought the property. and they had now owned the property for several years. But the Sheriff... a friend of the property owner.... said just because it is on their land does not necessarily give them the right to dispose of it as they wish. They needed to locate the owners of the trailer or turn it over to the local law after which they could claim it in thirty days and blah blah blah....   Luckily the owner's widow lived next door.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version