BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Bushkill 4-way Mating Nuc

<< < (7/8) > >>

AllenF:
Send a message to Robo.   It did not work for me either.   Something with the site I would guess.

Robo:
Site fixed.  Upgrade gone bad.....

RobWok:
Thanks so much for putting this out there.  I love it.  Instead of plywood, I had some pallets that had boards on top that were 10.5" wide  Was able to use a few of those and built 5 of these.  Instead of the extra pieces that you put inside, I instead cut a 1/4" dado on the inside before I assembled the boxes.  What this means is that it is exactly the same size inside and out as a standard deep.  I'll be affixing basically an inner cover that is flush on one side on the bottom.  My goal was to see if I could build your setup with a standard deep box and just modify it a little.  That way, anyone should be able to order a deep box and cut some rabbets and some holes in it.  I also made the frame rests the 13/16" like you have in your plans.  It should have minimal effect on a normal frame. I always seem to run out of deep hive bodies.  This way, I can have some spares if I need them.

Here's the other plus.  I plan to take out 2 of the sides and just leave the center divider in for the winter - meaning, I can try to overwinter 2 hives that share the same deep box.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to stack them too.  That could get a little tricky.  May still need to put 2 5 frame nucs on top to super them.  Probably just better to make more solid nucs, or order them.

Anyway, thanks for the plans!

scubajohn:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on September 14, 2011, 01:36:50 am ---Plywood has designations for the quality of the surface (A, B, C and D) and the kind of glue (X is exterior).  So 3/4" CDX is one C surface, one D surface and exterior glue.  Unless you can find some Marine plywood, I'd use the CDX as it is commonly available for a decent price.

--- End quote ---
I have been buying a cabinet type ply from the depot called china birch I paint it and it has been working great very smooth flat and takes a dado well 3/4 is 32 bucks last time I bought it

rob brinkerhoff:
Great post. Thanks for putting this on here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version