BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Newspaper combine

(1/2) > >>

Occam:
A beek friend of mine had two swarm traps occupied and didn't have any room for them. I have one horizontal langstroth that's vacant and and thinking about combining in it. Planning on stapling paper vertically to the sides and bottom and through a cover board so the two sides are separate. I have two questions I'm pondering as I plan this.

1) Do I leave both sides queenright and let them sort it out when they merge? I'm leaning towards that but wanted others thoughts and opinions. I should also mention we had a massive wind storm this past weekend and one of the trees fell over and the swarm trap was damaged, it's possible it's not even queenright.

2) I only have an entrance on one end of the hive. Should I make a second entrance so both end have one then close it once they've combined and established? Both traps have a few frames of brood, pollen, and honey.

I guess the third option this late in my season would be to make a solid divider and run two hives out of itp but I was thinking the combine would be better to have a stronger hive going into the hot part of the summer and dearth.

Forth option I suppose would be to install one colony in the hive and put one in a nuc as a resource

gww:
I only have langs and I did not look for the queen when I stacked them.  In am not sure if I worried about an entrance but is I did it was probably just a stick or pencil for a little air.  I  have heard that putting the smallest in the confined place might be best but there are better bee keeper here then me.  The queens seemed to work it out ok with out me and probably better then me.  It worked and so that is the best I can say.  I get most of my swarms before the have really started on much comb and so in my opinion, you are moving hives and not swarms.  I always bring my swarms home at night and set them on top of where they are going to be and they seem to orient well enough.  Good luck.
Cheers
gww

Occam:
Thanks, I appreciate it

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---Forth option I suppose would be to install one colony in the hive and put one in a nuc as a resource
--- End quote ---

I know nothing first hand about long langs because like gww, I only have regular langs. As far as combinations go he sounds to be successful in his way of doing it and success is what matters and is the bottom line.

Of the four options you are considering, I would personally go with number 4. Do you have extra 5 frame nuc woodware?  I have built swarms up as high as 4 deep before transferring to a double 10 frame lang set up.. (A ratchet strap is recommended if you go that high.)  Of course by the time they have built up that strong,  you will have had time to build another long lang for transfer. There are other options as well depending on your resources...

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Occam,
It really depends on what you want. Do you want more hives, a stronger hive for a fall flow or a hive and a Nuc for backup.
If you only have one or two hives, I would go for number four also.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version