BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

NEW HIVE, FRAME MANAGEMENT?

(1/2) > >>

B DOG:
OK SO I AM NEW TO THIS AND THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THAT I HAVE CHECK THE HIVE. - LOOKS GREAT- I WENT IN AND ALL IS WELL. MY QUESTION IS ON FRAME MANAGEMENT. I WENT IN AND ALL THE BEES WERE IN THE CENTER THREE FRAMES, SO I PULLED AN OUTER FRAME AND PLACED IT IN THE MIDDLE, BASICLY SITICKING A UNDELOPED FRAME IN THE MIDDEL OF 3 DEVOLPED AND WORKING FRAMES. I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY WILL WORK FORM THE CENTER OUT, BUT SHOULD I HAVE DOEN THIS? I KNOW IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL, BUT WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

SeanChan:
The usual practice is to wait till 6 or 7 frames has been started by the bees before you move one in to get them to start on it. Just 3 frame is a wee bit early. Patience is a great asset in beekeeping.

Sean. :D

lobstafari:
Somebody once told me the bees get disoriented when you flip and switch frames around.

BigRog:
Think your caps lock button is stuck
Posting in all caps is the equivilent of yelling
We can all read in lower case
http://anticapslock.com/

Robo:
I hope you didn't take the frame from the middle and but it on the outside.

Basically you split the brood area by putting a foundation wall between them.  This could be a problem if there is not enough bees to keep the brood warm.  If you took the middle frame and put it on the outside, you made that even worse by splitting your brood in 3.

You are best to let the bees keep the brood chamber in tacked and they will expand it as they grow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version