BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Allow bees in and out whilst excluding butterflies?

(1/10) > >>

Buk:
I have a critter cage around my veg plot to exclude pidgeons and other birds, deer, rabbits etc. but also caterpiller pests like Cabbage Whites and it is effective in that.

However, it also excludes bees which I would like to enable and even encourage. I asking here for advice on how.

Bees seem quite adept at manouvering through gaps and crevices that (I think) would be impassable for butterflies.

I'm thinking of say 4 or 5 100mm lengths of say 10mm ID pipe passing through the netting, mounted at 1m off the ground in the vaccinity of a comfrey patch and an Elder tree that are frequently visited by bees.

Would the bees find this access point and use it?

Is there anything I could do to encourage them?

Is there a better solution to letting bees in and out whilst excluding the dreaded CWB?

Thanks.

iddee:
Replace the netting and cover the plants with powdered lime. It will keep the pests off and raise the PH of the soil when it rains and washes off. Replace the lime as needed.

Buk:

--- Quote from: iddee on March 18, 2023, 05:49:21 am ---Replace the netting and cover the plants with powdered lime. It will keep the pests off and raise the PH of the soil when it rains and washes off. Replace the lime as needed.

--- End quote ---

Not an option; this is a 5m x 7m critter cage covering the entire plot. (Also, the last thing my soil needs if a higher PH.)

There is also the problem of pidgeons/deer/rabbits getting up early after overnight rain.

Acebird:
Knowing your location might help

Buk:

--- Quote from: Acebird on March 18, 2023, 08:45:51 am ---Knowing your location might help

--- End quote ---

I'm in the UK, but I'm not sure how that affects finding a way to let bees in and out of my critter cage without letting the butterflies in?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version