ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Arrowheads

(1/2) > >>

AustinB:
Surely we have some arrowhead hunters in here. One of the things the boys and I love to do during the warm months in between hunting and fishing, is walking the turned up fields looking for arrowheads. When I was young I was enamored by all things Native American. I had leather items my mother helped me to make, made my own bow, fletched my own arrows and loomed a lot of beads. One thing I always wanted to do was find a real arrowhead. My dad didn't have a lot of time to take me during his early career years when I was young, so I never was able to find one. It wasn't until my boys took an interest and we started searching, that I found my first one, and so did they. Since then it has been a real joy and allowed us to build some great memories, and learn about the lifestyle and culture of our Native American brothers.

BeeMaster2:
Down here in Florida the best time to find them is after a heavy rainstorm and in the forest after the forestry firefighters have plowed up a fire break around a fire. After a heavy rainfall the rain washes away the sand and leaves the arrowheads Perched above a pile of sand. The guy that did the framing of our house had a large collection of them an walking the fire breaks.
Jim Altmiller

AustinB:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on January 30, 2023, 02:34:08 pm ---Down here in Florida the best time to find them is after a heavy rainstorm and in the forest after the forestry firefighters have plowed up a fire break around a fire. After a heavy rainfall the rain washes away the sand and leaves the arrowheads Perched above a pile of sand. The guy that did the framing of our house had a large collection of them an walking the fire breaks.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
Very similar to here after the farmers would run the discs through the fields, it was always best to go after a good mollywopper. Anymore with the no plough seeding done around here there is very little topsoil being turned over, but we still find them. I would love to make a trip to Florida and walk some of those fire breaks, there are some really beautiful artifacts that come from Florida. My best friend lives in Tampa so maybe that will be a good excuse to get me and the boys down there.

The15thMember:
That's really neat!  :happy:

Michael Bush:
We looked for them all the time when I was a kid.  Often you find a spot where they were knapping flints and you find the rejects laying around along with flakes.  Most of those that are greenish in color literally came from my back yard where the Indians had been quarrying Nehawka flint for millennia.  They asked a Shoshone chief in the late 1800s when the last time he saw someone knap a flint.  He had never seen anyone knap a flnit and said neither his father nor his grandfather had ever seen anyone knap a flint.  From the 1700s all the Indians in North America had steel arrowheads even if they had never seen a white man.  Some were purpose made for trade and many were made from barrel bands.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version