Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guardian Bee Hive Entrance  (Read 5699 times)

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
    • Guardian Bee Hive Entrance
Guardian Bee Hive Entrance
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »
Just wanted to show you guys what I have been using to combat beetles this year in Kansas.  They have been terrible and I am definitely see lower numbers - We just finished the patent process and are looking into our next steps - Let me know you thoughts - https://www.facebook.com/guardianbeehive/videos/2121305534567763/?t=0

Thanks
Mike
Mike Munson

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Guardian Bee Hive Entrance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:33:36 pm »
Seeing that you are not selling these yet, I?m not removing the thread.
Please read the bylaws.
My thought is that the bees will propalise the entrance that they cannot enter.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:50:12 pm »
Thanks Jim - Just wanted to post what I am currently using and get input from other users.  - These have been on for almost 3 months and no propolis problems yet - Installed them on new packages to see how many beetles would get in.   Thanks again
Mike
Mike Munson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
I haven't seen anything exactly like it.  It seems like Jeff Pettis had experimented with some pipes for entrances with the same concept of them getting stuck in the corner and not finding the end of the pipe.  I hope it works.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:01:51 am »
I see a plastic entrance but I don't see what it does.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:50:57 pm »
The entrance has been designed to confuse the beetles as to where the entrance is located.  As the beetles run around looking for the entrance the bees are able to wrangle and corral them outside the hive.  Last year I used swifter sheets and was over run with beetles, actually losing one hive to beetle infestation.  This year they have been kept manageable by the bees and the new entrance.
Mike Munson

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 01:40:59 pm »
Last year I used swifter sheets and was over run with beetles, actually losing one hive to beetle infestation.

A couple of years ago I thought I lost one to beetle infestation.  I was told there was another problem that made the hive weak or I did something wrong.  The "I did something wrong" was always a possibility with me so there is that.  It could have been a heavy mite load or virus load but I didn't see evidence of that.  It could very well be a lose of a queen and the colony dwindled to succumb to beetles.  Beetles don't need an entrance.  They can get into the hive through a 1/8 dia. hole or crack.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
Yes I totally agree - In my morning and nightly inspections outside the hive the past 3 months I have not seen a beetle enter from anywhere but the landing board.  I am not saying they can't gain access somewhere else just that I have not seen them - In fact if they land somewhere else on the hive they will flight again to get closer to the landing board - These have just been my observations but with wide open entrance access to the hive they can just walk right in and with the Guardian in place the bees are able to control them better.   
Mike Munson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 09:27:32 pm »
Mike, are your bottom boards screen or solid?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 10:11:57 pm »
Solid
Mike Munson

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:23:09 am »
Just wanted to show you guys what I have been using to combat beetles this year in Kansas.  They have been terrible and I am definitely see lower numbers - We just finished the patent process and are looking into our next steps - Let me know you thoughts - https://www.facebook.com/guardianbeehive/videos/2121305534567763/?t=0

Thanks
Mike

I like what I see in the video. I also like the answer that you gave Jim about these being installed for three months. I realize their are steps involved in preparing a new product for the market. Do you have an idea when these will be ready for sale?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline mikemunson

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 11:15:44 am »
I just finished the patent process  so I am hoping to have these available in the next couple months.  Currently the 3d prototypes I have been printing are holding up fairly well to the sun with little uv breakdown so I am not sure the path I will take with these.  I should also mention we are testing a red semi transparent PETG material that we are hoping will simulate a red light effect at the entrance that the beetles try to avoid similar to the red top cover. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:30:57 pm by mikemunson »
Mike Munson

Offline TNHB

• Brood
  • Your Source for Honey Bees & Supplies in S.E. Tenn
    • Tennessee's Honey Bees
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:26 pm »
Here is what we have been doing for the past year with some 1/2" id PEX we had sitting around after doing a little pipe repair work in an older home.
Now I am not saying it will get rid of your beetle problems but:

It will take just 3 to 4 of the girls to protect each tube. In 2018 I ran 3 tubes in all of the hives with tried this on and saw NO signs of robbing,

The girls kept the screened bottom boards cleaned well.

We saw a noticeable reduction in SHB in the hives we were running these on compared to other hies in the same apiary and even on the same stands.

You can see some of the things we have been experimenting with on our YouTube channel.
Code: [Select]
https://youtu.be/63vHTL6gcy4
Qty 3 - 1/2" id PEX x 2" long installed into 5/8" holes ina standard 3/4" x 3/4" entrance reducer. = Approx 1 1/2" opening

We have already made some to try for the 2019 season that have 7 PEX tubes in them.
7 x 1/2" = an approximate 3 1/2" opening

We have quite a bit more information listed on our Facebook channel
https://www.facebook.com/tennessees.honeybees.3
as website as well.
http://www.tennesseeshoneybees.com
Hopefully this will be following the rules and if not please remove any info that doesn't!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 03:43:48 pm »
There are many climatic issues with beekeeping in the North, and I have challenges that others don't have.  On the flip side, I am very grateful that SHB is a nonexistent problem. To find a SHB infestation here would be likened to seeing a unicorn crossing the street at high noon.

That said, Mike, imho what you have there is a well thought out and innovative design! I can see that it does not add any restriction to the coming and going of the bees (very important) but seems to really funnel and confuse the beetles to keep them at bay.  Would the beetle not eventually just figure out to climb over the ends of the device?  Perhaps an improvement ... what about a sneaky beetle sized notch at a random spot in the lower that as they run along pressed up against it trying to get into the hive when they get to the notch they rush through it, where there is a sudden drop into a bottom slot and a tray below that the beetles would fall into, trapping them forevermore?  Sort of like a variation of a pollen trap with this such device on it. ..... for consideration.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:54:22 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.