Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45683 times)

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
Re: Varroa dedected in Australia
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 08:25:22 am »
Whilst it's very sad you guys have now got varroa. It's not a death sentence, most of the rest of the worlds beekeepers live with the little blighters. There are plenty of effective treatments for keeping their numbers low so that they have little noticeable impact on the bees.
But killing all the bees and  burning all those hives, I really feel for any keeper having his livelihood destroyed.

But eradicating feral bees....is that even possible?

How did it arrive? A swarm of bees setting up home on a container ship? Illegal imports of bees?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 12:20:09 pm »
It had once seemed to me that a 'thought to be' blind, slow moving, tick looking tiny bug would be slow to move, slow to spread. However, after viewing a video that The15Member posted here a time ago, showing a varroa mite 'seeming to jump' as a paper clip might be drawn to a magnet. The speed and distance of the varroas' move was a real eye opener for me. Perhaps Reagan will repost it here for you all if she can can find it...

Phillip
I think FloridaGardener actually posted that first, let me see if I can dig it up. 

Edit: Here it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oij1HOxD3iU
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 09:55:51 pm »
Whilst it's very sad you guys have now got varroa. It's not a death sentence, most of the rest of the worlds beekeepers live with the little blighters. There are plenty of effective treatments for keeping their numbers low so that they have little noticeable impact on the bees.
But killing all the bees and  burning all those hives, I really feel for any keeper having his livelihood destroyed.

How did it arrive? A swarm of bees setting up home on a container ship? Illegal imports of bees?

I agree NigleP. Though not a death sentence, this news is a hit below the belt.
Lets consider:
Even if every single domestic hive which has varroa is eradicated, feral bees which may be affected and harboring Varroa Destructor are still a breeding ground and a solid bridge for varroa. If just 'one' feral hive having varroa is missed, then the spread starts all over again. Millions of dollars wasted not counting the heartbreak and heartache.

I will in no way try and dissuade efforts to control this pest by any method or means our friends see fit to try and deem necessary. At the end of the day they must be able to say "we did our best and we controlled the problem", or "we did our best even if the problem is not solved".

Whether a successful eradication of varroa or not; It may well be time for our friends Down Under to educate themselves about Varroa Destructor if they haven't already...
There is LOADS of GREAT information here at Beemaster for your convenience concerning 'every conceivable aspect' of Varroa; From research papers posted from all over the world concerning every aspect of varroa, including treatment methods along with the breakdown of treating tools. The Search engine at the top of the page, might be a best friend to our friends from DownUnder at this time, win, lose, or draw...

I think it is safe to say, if we at Beemaster can be of aid, please call on us. Not only will the staff try and help but our many members from all over will try and help as well. I say this with complete confidence.

Sincerely,

Phillip
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:45:07 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 12:23:40 am »
Further restrictions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-30/victoria-and-queensland-ban-bees-from-nsw-amid-varroa-outbreak/101196640

I'm located in Queensland - the staet just North of NSW .

It is interesting to note that the introduction of Honey is also banned.

Many of us have pushed for the ban of introduced honey from Varroa areas for a long time.

Our local supermarkets purchased 50 kg of honey from me just today. Covid has made a lot of people aware that we have to become more self sustaining locally and honey is just one item.

It will be interesting to see how this will unfold...in a few weeks time.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 03:46:51 am »

Many of us have pushed for the ban of introduced honey from Varroa areas for a long time.

What is the rationale behind that idea?

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:51 am »

Yes...everyone else around the globe has learnt to deal with them but obviously we still dont want them!

Even if there is a slight chance of eradicating them i say go for it 100%. Most of our Aussie beekeepers are happy to sacrifice their hives to fight this invasion...yes it's a shame to destroy hives, let's hope it's not in vane.

There has been a massive media push here highlighting the threat in an attempt to raise awareness.

Although our chances of eradicating this incursion are becoming less likely its still possible.

We dont have to eradicate every feral hive in the red zone, not every colony has the mites (yet). But every colony destroyed increases the odds of success.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 09:14:57 pm »
My understanding through my sources is that >100hives is compensated so there is no financial incentive to hobbyists.
Feral colonies are likely to be poisoned open fed with fipronil.
Although it?s unlikely the eradication program will work if the outbreak is as bad as it seems, and it does seem to be worse than originally thought it is worth the attempt. The ?oh well it was always going to happen? attitude riles me. I?ve heard it regarding hive beetles here in the SW yet it is still contained and we enjoy the benefits.
Fingers crossed.
Sometimes living in one of the most remote cities in the world has its benefits.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 08:44:53 am »
Will killing 'SOME' feral bees in these areas be good enough?

"We're also looking at a release of chemical in certain parts of those eradication zones which will help nullify some of the feral populations that we know exist."

"These latest discoveries mean that we've got, potentially, a widespread issue and we need to be extremely vigilant about how we're dealing with the disease," he said.

"The next few days will really tell whether we're perhaps able to hopefully control this or how widespread the actual situation is."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-29/varroa-mite-red-zones-added-in-nsw-bees-hives-to-be-destroyed/101191926
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 11:41:46 am »
It has been determined that Varroa can not live more than 5 days without a host which is a promising good thing.

Honest Questions:

If all domesticated managed hives are completely destroyed in the kill zones, what will become of the bees which may have missed the eradication process while out forging, which may host live varroa? Will they beg into unknown feral hives? The same question for eradicated hives on the outer limits of the kill zone. What will become of the forging bees which no longer have a home. Can they simply find their way to a hive 'outside' of the eradication zone, or an unknown feral hive 'outside or inside' the kill zone? Will they beg into a nearby hive, bringing with them the varroa they may have in their possession, (on their person)?

If a feral hive is eradicated (killed on the spot) with a 'certain chemical' which was suggested in the article I posted earlier, will the chemical kill the capped brood in these feral hives as well where varroa may be living and developing? Will this varroa survive? Will the varroa emerge from the capped brood and live for 5 days, allowing time for a robber bee from another unknown feral hive to come along allowing themselves to becoming a brand new Varroa host?

Most likely the officials there In Australia have already asked themselves these very same questions and probably many more? If so, what are their answers?

Varroa Mites | Texas Apiary Inspection Service (TAIS)
They are spread within a colony when bees come into contact with one another. Mites are also spread between colonies and apiaries via robbing, drifting, swarming, and absconding. Varroa mites are unable to live for more than a few days without a host and therefore, you will not find Varroa mites in a dead out hive.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 12:42:25 pm »
An article in ABJ by Randy Oliver showed some of his marked bees ended up in different apiaries of his approx 5? miles away.....

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 05:36:29 pm »
Quote from: Skeggley it is worth the attempt. The ?oh well it was always going to happen? attitude riles me.
[/quote

Me too Skeggley.

Even controlling the spread could give you guys decades over there if its done properly.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 05:40:08 pm »
It has been determined that Varroa can not live more than 5 days without a host which is a promising

It is Ben...thanks for that fact I was not aware.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 01:03:24 am »

Thank you The15thMember and thank you FloridaGardener.

Phillip

It had once seemed to me that a 'thought to be' blind, slow moving, tick looking tiny bug would be slow to move, slow to spread. However, after viewing a video that The15Member posted here a time ago, showing a varroa mite 'seeming to jump' as a paper clip might be drawn to a magnet. The speed and distance of the varroas' move was a real eye opener for me. Perhaps Reagan will repost it here for you all if she can can find it...

Phillip
I think FloridaGardener actually posted that first, let me see if I can dig it up. 

Edit: Here it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oij1HOxD3iU

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 04:21:59 am »
Varroa is spreading South - very close to Sydney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1coHT0KUQ

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 04:41:29 pm »
Thanks Max

Unfortunatly that makes me think it may have arrived some time ago.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 04:43:35 pm »
Thanks Max

Unfortunatly that makes me think it may have arrived some time ago.

Bee North, I do not know how fast in actuality they can spread in ideal circumstance, but I am wondering the same as you;
 "how long have they really been here."
🤷🏼‍♂️

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 04:54:30 pm »
Just curious, are they testing hives Nation Wide? Or as far over as
Alice Springs, or further down towards Melbourne and Adelaide?

Phillip

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 11:32:29 pm »
Directives can vary from state to state.

QLD, where I'm from, have closed their borders to all bees, equipment and products etc from NSW....NSW hives etc are at a standstill.

They (Biosecurity QLD) have also suggested we monitor and check our hives for varroa and report any findings with instructions on the various methods etc.

In QLD you must register your hives and conduct regular inspections for pests and diseases, document findings and report listed diseases such as AFB.

anything