Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aggressive bees  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Aggressive bees
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:06:20 pm »
I had a top brood box filled with honey. I extracted 4 frames to lighten it up and give the queen room to lay. That was Sunday. Now the bees are attacking everyone who goes into the backyard. I was even stung in the front yard this morning.
My question is"how long will they be like that?" Thanks.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Aggressive bees
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 05:27:46 pm »
It depends on why they are acting aggressive.  I can't see that taking four frames of honey would be causing it, especially since I imagine your flow is still pretty strong.  Could it be something environmental that irritated them?  Did someone mow around the hives lately, or could an animal be messing with them?  How strong is the hive?  Could they be experiencing robbing?  Do they have a newly mated queen, who perhaps mated with some nasty drones?  Maybe it's an older queen, but she's just working on the sperm of a nasty drone or two at the moment?  Any more information you could give us would be helpful to try and diagnose it.  How did they look last inspection?  Anything changed in their environment?  Things like that.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:41:00 pm »
Adding another, could it be the queen was accidentally and unknowingly killed during the time of removing frames, leaving the hive queen-less?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Aggressive bees
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 12:32:30 am »
If were kittnes before and all of sudden seems not ?. Are you sure the mean ones are yours?  Are there other hives in the nearby area? Neighbours ..
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 01:29:11 am »
I am assuming you have been beekeeping a while, and know the difference between an attacking honeybee, and an attacking yellowjacket.
Yellow jackets are beginning their build up here in Georgia, and get mean when you get near their hole in the ground.
My hives were more defensive this spring, but have settled down in our honey flow.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 10:07:03 pm »
Stickies cause beesrobbing.

Bees - not from this hive as HP mentioned - are frustrated if they can't get in the hive with the stickies.

Your own bees may feel threatened and defensive becaue robbers are trying to get in.

Since you said it was a "top brood box" then the sticky frames may have drooled on the brood, and the bees needed "all hands on deck" to clean up the mess and it was a setback to them. 

anything