Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australian fires  (Read 8564 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Australian fires
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 06:36:21 pm »
I am not so sure, Kathy. I do think climate change has shifted the gulf stream some, and thawed the polar caps some, and changed our storm/hurricane situation. But I agree with Iddee. It is not man's doing, but the natural swing of the planet's climate cycle. Our carbon footprint is miniscule compared to natural cycle of the planet.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 07:21:25 am »

" The Abo's lit fires because they got so stoned they dropped the bong."

Not very nice Wet Bee, way out of whack with the policies of the forum and misinformation into the bargain. When the indigenous people started running control fires there would have been no bongs on the continent !  !
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 07:48:51 am »

Only getting into the thread relating to the fires in Australia as we are probably only about 150 k's from the nearest burns ( it was only 5 k last year ) and the visibility today through the smoke at the worst got down to about 400 metres. The upside of that was there was next to no wind to drive the fires and the smoke arrived here due to a slight east wind drift and nothing more.

Having experienced fires over the years it is still hard accept the reality of how extensive and damaging these have been and still are as they are ongoing and will be for some time in spite of some rain we expect to get late tomorrow.

As soon as my sport season is over I hope to do a tour right through the affected states  which will involve some 1000's of kilometres of travel to try and get a photographic record of this previously unexperienced disaster.

There will be so many stories of luck and tragedy to come when it's all over.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:15 am »
Buildings are getting taller and hurricanes are getting stronger.  FL is the classic display of climate change, too much rain and then not enough.  That is not a good equation.

I was with you to this point.  This is historically inaccurate.
You don't think buildings are getting taller and hurricanes are getting stronger in FL?  These are words from codes in Palm Beach County.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline wet bee

• New Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 06:13:15 am »
Your in Yinnar Geoff and do not live with our indigenous brothers and may I add have no idea.
They did not  light controlled fires. They were, as they are now , careless.
They do not give one brass razzo about farming or environmental control.
They care about themselves, nothing more.
They are 3.3 % of the population.
They are 30 % of the prison population (80% in the North)
What I am trying to tell you is not racism.
It is realism.
People from the south only make the indigenous plight worse with their armchair ignorance.
Would any indigenous beekeepers like to chime in?...

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 08:32:40 am »
What I am trying to tell you is not racism.
It is realism.

While you may honestly believe your initial post to be informative, witty and of relevance to the conversation on fires, your use of an offensive derogatory term deliberately aimed at offending aboriginal people, was in point of fact racist.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 08:44:02 am »
was in point of fact racist.
When you get to the route definition of a word and you can't believe what you are hearing the cause in every case is denial.  We got a lot of that going around here.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline wet bee

• New Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 08:52:40 am »
was in point of fact racist.
When you get to the route definition of a word and you can't believe what you are hearing the cause in every case is denial.  We got a lot of that going around here.

What is it you can't believe your hearing?

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2020, 08:05:59 am »
My aboriginal family is doing traditional burns up in Cape York, successfully. For centuries.
Some comments on this thread are just disgusting and the poster should be cautioned, if not removed from the forum.
He seems to know a couple of disconnected aboriginals that can?t cope in the western world.
Leave our communities to figure out their place.  They?ve been managing this land for thousands of years.
And they even noticed climate changes, as predicted in their stories.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 09:41:39 am »
Here in the West we are still doing controlled prescribed burns throughout the cooler months but this is just a part of the control strategy.
Prevention, preparedness, response and recovery.
https://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/publications/AnnualReport200506/fire2.pdf