Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees on new foundation  (Read 974 times)

Offline mort1035

• Brood
bees on new foundation
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:02:04 am »
I am new to beekeeping this year. I bought a hive in June/July that was ready to swarm. The hive had several Queen cells and Drone Comb, Plenty of honey and no room for expansion.
I split the hive and placed to frames with Queen cells, one full frame of brood and a frame of honey and one empty waxed wire frame into a five frame box. I let the bees do their thing which they did the queen was born, did her mating flight  and began laying eggs. I then moved into an 8 frame box and they are doing wonderful.
The main Hive (8 frame) that i split off of was filled in with waxed wired frame inJjuly and appeared to be building and laying. I added a medium Super with 8 empty waxed frames. The bees have avoided all the empty frames and were not building any. I swapped out two empty frames with two frames with drawn comb and sprayed them with honey water and they have begun working the drawn comb but nothing on the new frame/foundation in the main deep super or in the medium super
Any suggestions

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: bees on new foundation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:40 am »
If it were mine, I would remove the original queen, wait 2 to 4 hours, place a sheet of newspaper on it, and combine the split on top of it. Then plan to make a 50/50 split in early spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything