Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A General Hive Question  (Read 2220 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: A General Hive Question
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2024, 12:40:23 pm »
I don't think it matters much either way.  If you'd like to move it up a day, it won't hurt anything.  I'm assuming you are starting to exit swarm season, so it's unlikely waiting two weeks would do any harm either. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2024, 05:10:44 pm »
If the 90 degree weather is your concern it really only matters for your comfort, or won't affect the bees
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2024, 10:30:03 pm »
If the 90 degree weather is your concern it really only matters for your comfort, or won't affect the bees
Yeah, I kind of sweat in that jacket at 70 degrees. At 90 and up, I'd really be soaking wet.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2024, 11:44:54 pm »
Oh I'm sure. I've worn a jacket exactly 2x and only one was in my own bee yard. I just can't make myself wear one. I wear a veil to keep my face from getting dying but otherwise it's generally shorts, t shirt, and flip flops with the suit on hand if it becomes necessary.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2024, 12:05:50 am »
I was in my full vented suit with just a sports bra and gym shorts underneath on Saturday in 83F, so I can confirm that it's a surefire way to get drenched in sweat.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2024, 12:11:02 am »
> Yeah, I kind of sweat in that jacket at 70 degrees. At 90 and up, I'd really be soaking wet.

If its a 3 layer breathable air flow type jacket simply wear a dry fit t-shirt or non at all beneath the jacket and bring along a fan... With the breathable jackets and a fan, its like Aladdin sang to the Princess, its a whole new world....

Phillip
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2024, 08:17:52 am »
I do have a shop fan that I intend to use, maybe I should just do it.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #67 on: Today at 10:33:58 am »
Yesterday was one of the hottest days of the year and the bees' behavior indicates that it was THE hottest. Hive #1 (the nuc I bought in April) has had the entrance reducer removed and no vent of any sort up top. It's four boxes tall, two deep and two mediums. This crowd had the porch covered with fanners yesterday and did no bearding. This morning they are running something but it's not pollen and they don't look to be landing heavy.

Hive #2 (my swarm trap hive) is still in a single deep but I have an empty deep on top as I have been feeding them syrup: 1) They still have comb to build and 2) I'm thinking that if they're storing it, they can use it during the dearth. This hive has two entrances, a small one on the porch and a medium one that I cut into the inner cover. It currently points downward and is the one they use the most. They were bearding yesterday during the day but when the sun went behind the trees, they quit that. They are bringing in some pollen today and others are flying but I don't know what they're carrying but it's not in their pollen baskets. They're pretty good at sticking the landing right on that top opening.

Hive #3 (the nuc I split off) has just a small opening on the porch but I shimmed the top with one of my hive tools. They were out bearding yesterday and this was the first day they were outside in any numbers. They also had some fanners at the opening but the opening is really small, like 1" to 1 1/4" wide. Today some of them are out making orientation flights for the first time.

So...my question is, what is recommended for the entrances with this heat wave coming in? We're looking at highs in the 90s for at least a week, which is about as bad as it gets here. Should I switch to the larger entrance on the porch of the trapped swarm? Should I enlarge the opening for the nuc I split? I don't see any reason to change anything with Hive #1 because they seem to be doing just fine.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #68 on: Today at 11:16:43 am »
If it's hot, the foragers are probably bringing in water, both for drinking and for cooling.  I agree that hives that are bearding are too hot and need more ventilation.  I think both the swarm hive and the nuc should have their entrances opened more.  With the nuc, I would keep an eye out for robbing if your flow isn't strong right now, and reduce their entrance again once it cools down. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: Today at 11:32:03 am »
Since heat rises, bees have to work extra hard to bring that heat and saunafied moisture down to the entrance in a bottom entrance hive to release it while generating heat themselves while doing so. . A little top ventilation will absolutely help in more ways than one. This has been discussed time and again with examples. I suggest you experiment for yourself and learn for yourself. Experience is the best teacher in many cases.
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.