Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Accelerated cell growth  (Read 1875 times)

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Accelerated cell growth
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:27:31 am »
Hi, All!

Just this past Sat. I put a frame of new eggs laid by my #1 prized queen into a cell builder/finisher hive.  Our Spring flow just begin!   I broke down a 5 deep nuc hive into 2 boxes next to another 5 deep nuc hive (#B) that was made queen less a week before.   Moved the 5 frame deep nuc hive (#B) to another location creating a forager "fly back" situation to fuel the existing cell builder/finisher hive.

The top box is full of bees inside the half cap honey frames.   The bottom box has the egg frame in the middle sandwich between 2 nectar frames on the left and 2 pollen/nectar frames on the right.   Extra bees bearding outside in the night time.   Cool into the mid-50s!

So the bee math is about either Thurs 5/17 or Friday 5/18 that the queen laid the eggs into the new frame.   On Sat. 5/19  transfer the egg frame over.  By this Weds. I should see some QCs developing.    I'm very tempted to do another little RJ injection experiment into the cells.   But will hold off to see what QC  I have first.   I'm sure with that many bees condensed into 2 deep nuc boxes these cells will be huge.    Fingers crossed!

During this process I also squished my #2 prized queen the one that I mark with the red pen.   Found her the 2nd day on a hive check sticking on the side bar between the frames with her abdomen sticking out out of the frame surrounded by the worker bees.    How sad my 2nd queen victim of the season--dead!

Instant, a bee bomb deep nuc hive for CB/CF:  http://imgbox.com/rA5Nf1Yk

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: Accelerated cell growth
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:10:25 am »
Tomorrow will be the day for my first nuc hive inspection to see how many QCs they will make.  If they make 7 I will be happy just enough to
fit inside the homemade small fridge incubator.  Then returning this hive back to a queen right state continuing to collect nectar/honey.  A 7 day interruption
isn't that bad.    Too bad that the mark queen is dead now!

Last night and tonight, I fed them honey water.   Into a glass canning quart jar I fill up some warm water almost to the top leaving enough
room for 8 oz. of honey that I harvested last season.   The honey is clean without any bee disease during the tf process.  I use a spoon to gradually
dissolve the honey into the water stirring it as I go.   I also added a pound of the homemade high protein patty subs in the top box last night.    This way the nurse bees producing the RJ to feed the QCs can be very well fed.   Even though our flow is on now there isn't enough foragers to keep all the bees well fed because the hive have too many young bees not able to fly yet.   By giving them extra feeds the young nurse bees will be fatten up somewhat while supplying more RJ to the developing QCs.  Because the honey water is pure they can cap the cured honey without contaminating it with sugar syrup.   Then later on when the flow is over I can even extract the honey.   I don't give them any sugar bricks when the flow is on.

I also put 2 more hives next to this CB/CF hive.  In a day or two I will move these 2 hives to another location harvesting more foragers for the CB hive.  I only have 7 days to complete this process before the cells are being cap.   Oh, the honey water must be taken by the bees within a day otherwise it will spoil in this warm weather.  A single quart is barely enough to feed them all.   But I cannot be around all day long to continue feeding.  So one quart is all they get per night for now.   So if you have extra honey that you want to feed back to the bees this is the method to use.

Mixing honey in water:

Before--  http://imgbox.com/t6Y5wi7x

After--   http://imgbox.com/8BuIgxdp

anything