Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water meter cut out  (Read 1985 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Water meter cut out
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:26:26 pm »
Got a call form utilities department for hive in water box, first cut out got to start some where,went saw little hive maybe 1k bees 4 small new comb no brood little honey plump queen, caged her put comb in frame and put in a 5 frame nuc
With some other comb will go back an pick up tonight, try to feed them up and see what happens.  Would die if left and utilities won?t call me again if I no show off the list so learning experience.A Good day

Offline UrbisAgricola

• New Bee
Re: Water meter cut out
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:50:23 pm »
Good for you!  Have fun. I assume you know what you gotta do from here.
We all do better when we all do better.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:07:25 pm »
JTC, good for you.  Sounds like you know what you are doing, well explained.  Good luck!

Question: I hate to show my ignorance, but Indon't have much choice here,,,,  so,,, what does "Ftm-rfb- egh-dtrt -ktf" mean????  It's ok to laugh, but honestly I don't know so I am just asking.  Thanks!!
Blessings

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:05 pm »
Good for you!  Have fun. I assume you know what you gotta do from here.

Feed feed feed  and a little hope but bees will be bees,

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:47:57 pm »
JTC, good for you.  Sounds like you know what you are doing, well explained.  Good luck!

Question: I hate to show my ignorance, but Indon't have much choice here,,,,  so,,, what does "Ftm-rfb- egh-dtrt -ktf" mean????  It's ok to laugh, but honestly I don't know so I am just asking.  Thanks!!
Blessings
I?m a firefighter and it?s a organization I was a part of, the things I remember every day at work.
FTM for the men
Rfb remember fallen btothers
Egh every one goes home
Dtrt do the right things
Ktf keep the faith
Thanks for asking

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:33 pm »
Thank you, I can now understand and appreciate you epithet.  Sounds like a person should keep those wise words close to heart.
Blessings  :tongue:

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:08:32 am »
JT,
You are pretty close to the I-4 corridor. I would replace the queen as soon as you can get one. Africanized bees prefer ground structures, European bees prefer above ground structures. Small hives like this one will probably act calm but could really turn mean when it grows to a fume sized hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:46:19 am »
Thanks , not sure they will make it, there numbers are only 500 I would guess, queen wise gonna wait and see, been reading about ground hives in Florida, may still be far enough north, been speaking with state. Inspector from my area. Gonna see what happens

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 04:41:43 am »
Sounds to me like you'd done really well so far.  In less mild areas than Florida, it would be good practice to overwinter such a small nuc over a full-sized hive in order to benefit from warmth from below - but maybe that isn't an issue in your locale ?  Good luck - keep us posted on this one.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »
Sounds to me like you'd done really well so far.  In less mild areas than Florida, it would be good practice to overwinter such a small nuc over a full-sized hive in order to benefit from warmth from below - but maybe that isn't an issue in your locale ?  Good luck - keep us posted on this one.
LJ
Will do they were flying today feild of dog fennel is in bloom here so all my girls are going, with lows of 60 high 80 feeling nice

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:06:17 pm »
Went in today to check  all there started building comb on the cut section and queen started laying, and they filled a frame with Sugar water and pollen so far so good, will see

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
Excellent news.  Let's hope the weather stays reasonably kind for the next few weeks - if so, it sounds like they should have a good chance of making it ...
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com