Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The New Beginning  (Read 4441 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: The New Beginning
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:06 pm »
On my soapbox again advocating DSBB with oil pan.  I went through some big hives today did not see a SHB, there some cockroaches in the shavings in the top board. but lots of SHB in the oil.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 06:21:28 pm »
glad to hear the oil pan method works - I've set up my new hive with one

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:07 pm »
     SHB
Now that's another matter and we have to do something mechanical.
What is the season for SHB?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:44 pm »
Over 70 degrees.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
What is the season for SHB?

Over 70 degrees.

Oh dear!

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:01 am »
@ Paus - so your DSBB is a tray under the screened bottom board, with an additional screen on top of the tray to keep bees browsing in the hive trash from getting stuck in the oil? 

Do the SHB really go through the two layers of #8 mesh?

Is it too much trouble to uplink photos?  Would appreciate - Thanks.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 06:20:39 pm »
Over 70 degrees.

That's almost all year long down here.  I better get moving.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 10:11:11 am »
Update: They are here to stay!
I got my ventilated jacket last night so this morning was first trial.  There is about 3 medium frames of open brood and they are drawing out 4 frames in the box below.  I did not see the queen and hopefully I didn't lose her.  I have some foundation so I will put that in empty frames and switch that with empty frames in the hive.  Seems like I have to work this hive like a horizontal for a while.  They are all over to one side.
What a difference a ventilated jacket makes.  No stings.
Fingers crossed.
OH BTW old dog learned new trick.  I had a video conference meeting (zoom) with my siblings last night on my birthday.  It was fun!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 11:02:48 am »
Happy Birthday Ace!  I love my new ventilated jacket too - congratulations on your new hive

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 11:53:09 am »
Happy Birthday Ace! I love my ventilated jacket. You will especially need it in Florida when you require protection. I would suggest bringing a fan along as well allowing the vents to do their job more efficiently.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »
I would suggest bringing a fan along as well allowing the vents to do their job more efficiently.

Phillip Hall
I went without a shirt.  I sweated more when I was up north with the other jacket.
Hey I saw the queen on the second intervention!  Right on bottom of the inner cover just mozing around without a care in the world.  On the first inspection/move I did not see one hive beetle but on the second I saw two.  What oil do you put in the tray?  How often do you empty it?
The move went really swell.  I saw bees in the top two boxes so I put them on a piece of plywood and the bottom board with the cover.  Then just slipped a hand truck under the plywood, tipped the hive back and walked it to the new location about 50 ft away.  That left 3 boxes back at the old location.  On the second intervention at the new location I replaced 4 empty frames with foundation in the bottom box.  I went back to the old location and grabbed each box one at a time with hundreds of bees on them and set them on there side next to the new location.  In ten minutes these boxes were empty and there is only 15-25 bees left at the old location.  It didn't take them long to find the active hive.  All is good.
My plan is to let this hive build up to 4 boxes and do a walk away split.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »
Happy [belated] Birthday Ace, and congratulations! That's too awesome!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 05:33:09 pm »
Congrats on the bees. It is hot keeping bees in Florida drink lots of water.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 09:02:18 am »
Sounds like you've got a good start!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:01 am »
Awesome!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 10:11:41 am »
Ace - I buy a gallon of food grade mineral oil to soak all my wooden ware each year [wooden spoons, chopping boards, tools, etc] then strain it back into the jug and reuse the next year - so now that I have bee's again, I have plenty to put in the SHB tray as well.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 11:08:33 pm »
Well Phill I have this thing about treating bees.  I don't know how that is going to go with the inspector.

We met the inspector last year. Seems a good guy, to me.

I asked him if there were many folks in FL who purport to keep bees treatment free. And he gave the typical roundabout yadayada about "what's the definition. .. even putting them in a hive is a treatment ..." and I said so whatever about the definition is anybody doing it? and he said "not successfully."

So you might just have to work hard to demonstrate that you are successfully keeping the bees, and have documented mite tests etc to show you're doing your diligence, ya know.

Anyway, I'M GLAD you are back in the game. If you welcome the bees they will stay with you.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:24 am »
Congrats Brian! I am enjoying the story, and very glad they stayed. Have you thought about placing a few baited boxes around the yard? Where you catch one swarm, you will often catch another. The season is young, and you might not even need to split to get a second and third hive.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 09:23:46 am »
Have you thought about placing a few baited boxes around the yard?

I don't have anything to bait it with but the boxes are set up next to the new hive.  I was thinking of sacrificing some brood but down here it will just draw a whole bunch of beetles.  I am going to keep watch on the foundation I put in the hive.  If I can catch it before they put honey and pollen in the cells that might work.
Also I did not want to leave boxes where the swarm came because I did not what to encourage the bees to hang around that area.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 11:35:22 am »
Ace, I suspect this is why beeks in NW Florida can go treatment https://bee-health.extension.org/varroa-mite-reproductive-biology/

High humidity.