Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member in NW Washington  (Read 2697 times)

Offline PaulN8

• Brood
New Member in NW Washington
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:06:00 am »
Ok what do I say?   I'm about to get back into beekeeping after a 20 year+ absense.  I use to raise bees with my dad back in the old days.... so long ago that we ordered most our beekeeping supplies from the Sears Catalog.  I seem to remember they had a special Bee-Keeping catalog.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: New Member in NW Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:38:25 am »
Yes, in deed, the Sears Beekeeping Catolog and the one from Monkey Ward too, I use to get them both and bought bees and equipment and had them delivered to my door.  My Mother just about fainted the day she went to get the mail and found 2 queens from Sears in with the letters and bills.

Where abouts in NW Washington, as am I.  I'm having a BBQ for PNW forum members the Sunday of Labor Day weekend--you're now officially invited.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:46:14 am »
Paul, welcome to our forum.  You have been under the spell of that honeybee, that is why you are now getting back into bees after taking that leave of absence. I like your avitar picture, by the way.  This is the best place for you to get back into the bees, lots has changed since that time, when you ordered your bees through Sears, hee, hee.  Welcome, you will meet new friends, ask your questions, tell us your stories, we are an interested bunch of people, and I am the nosiest around here, hee, hee.  Have the best of this great and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:19 am »
Glad you found the site, your gonna love it here! :)

Offline PaulN8

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:45:08 pm »
I still remember the look on the mail mans face when he delivered my dads first package.   I seem to remember being kinda surprised myself   ;)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:47 am »
Maybe your Dad remembers some of the real old timers in the North Sno County area, Albert Girsch and Clayton Turnipseed.  Those were my mentors starting back in 1959.  Turnipseed made equipment at his farm in Bryant.  Albert Girsch was a barber and was still keeping bees when he died of pneumonia at 92 in 1965.  Ge started as a young man in 1899.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:37:29 am »
Brian, I have got to tell you.  Clayton Turnipseed.

Never have I heard a surname that was more beautiful than that of Clayton's.  I am serious.  Reading that surname, "Turnipseed" took me back to when I was a little girl growing up on my Grandma's farm.  I have no clue why this instigated such a memory, but it took me right there, beauty of a little old house and 10 acres, neighbours a long ways away (well to a child it was forever).  I really must truly and clearly wonder if there was a neighbour that had that surname of Turnipseed.  One never knows.  My Grandmother lived on Brown Road in the rural city of White Rock, B.C.  She lived some distance from White Rock, but that was the closest city.  Funny the things we think of.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi

P.S.  Oops, I hope that I didn't go too far off topic, I apologize if I have bothered anyone.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thebeeladyintn

• New Bee
    • The Bee Lady in TN
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 05:37:06 pm »
welcome NW Washington,             is that nw wahington dc?

anna

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:53:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  You gota register for Brian's big shindig up in Anacortes, should be a real kick in the pants!  I'm down here in the South Puget Sound in Buckley (bout 30 miles east of Tacoma).

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13