Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame assembly  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Frame assembly
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:48:30 pm »
Ok, What do others use for staples when assembling frames? I have been using 1.5" staples for frames. When I can get them to stay in the wood they are fine but I actually had a bottom board that The staples went out both sides of the end bar. I was perfectly centered and I still missed. If that isn't bad enough I stapled the side to the end of the top bar and it came out the top and gave me a snake bite in the hand. I didn't realize I had the angle that steep but it happens quite often. I should at least use shorter staples for those but then I have to change staples and that gets obnoxious.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
Re: Frame assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:41:14 am »
It's been so long since I assembled a wooden frame - at first with hammer & nails, and then the staple gun - with the same issues. They are great when the staple strikes true. 'Not so much when they don't.

Good luck!
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:06 pm »
Generally for frames I use 1".  For boxes I use 1 1/2" (if my gun would take longer I would use those).  I always have some 1 1/4" around for nailing a one by into a one by without it sticking out the other side.  I have some 5/8" for putting screens on etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:43 am »
Brads and Staples used in guns are chisel pointed and often will follow the chisel and curved the shank. Generally you have to fire the gun so the fastener will curve into the depth of material rather than out the side. I use brads and that means holding the gun along the top or bottom bars perpendicular to the sides that way the brad does not come out the face of the upright side. There is a video on Youtube somewhere showing this in action and I think is on this forum somewhere.
David L

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:31:16 am »
I use Tite Bond II glue and 1inch brad nails.
Haven't had a frame pull apart yet.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »
Same here.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:25:54 am »
I use Tite Bond II glue and 1inch brad nails.
Haven't had a frame pull apart yet.

+1    The nail is only needed until the glue dries.

Just for the fun of it.

:cool:

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:36 am »
I use 7/8" for the bottom bar and 1 1/4 for the top bars. Occasionally there'll be a staple going out a side but not common. It's 50/50 whether it's a wobbly wrist or the staple following the grain of the wood ( I prefer to think the latter), use the titebond and have no worries.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:08:58 pm »

+1    The nail is only needed until the glue dries.

Modern glue is really good stuff. I use a 100% waterproof hybrid glue (for anyone in the UK - D4 glue from Toolstation) which has an initial set time of 10 minutes, which allows frames to be assembled without using nails. Full cure time is about 4 hours, but they can be handled with care after just 10 minutes.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

anything