Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Think hive swarmed, what can I do with all those queen cells?  (Read 798 times)

Offline snispel

• New Bee
I'm keeping a close eye on the room in my hives because I've seen SHB. I checked the hives on June 2nd. This hive had 4-5 frames of undrawn comb. I hoped to get back into the hive June 6th or 7th to add a box, but I got ill. I checked the hive June 9th instead. In the top box was 5 queen cells full of jelly. In the second box was 3 more jelly filled queens cells and one capped. I didn't have time to check the third box. We had thunderstorms coming.

I put the top box in it's own hive and added a feeder. I figured they already swarmed. Someone saw a swarm flying across the property.

I put the hive back together with the 2nd and 3rd box. This is an 8 frame hive.

Do I need to feed the old hive with the one box removed? How many hives can I make from all these queen cells. All the frames I checked were stuffed full of brood and stores. I'll check the old hive the 10th or the 11th for a queen to see if the swarm that flew away was actually mine or not.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Think hive swarmed, what can I do with all those queen cells?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 07:49:53 am »
See HoneyPumps reply on topic:    Grafting and Queen replacement.  He tells how few resources are necessary to raise a Queen. You might wind up pretty good in this situation. Good luck!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything