Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Prune type for pollination?  (Read 3081 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Prune type for pollination?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
My Italian prune is not producing fruit. I have 3 other plum trees in the orchard given to me from the local nurseryman: Big Yellow, Big red and Grandma’s. All trees are producing fruit except the Italian.  Blooming period the Italian is at the end of the other plums with a little overlap with the big red.  The wild cherry is blooming at the same time but last year I had about 8 overwintered hives within 200 yards of the trees so I think I have enough bugs. I am looking to do some bud grafting to the Italian and I am looking for suggestions since it is time to break out the knifes. 
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Prune type for pollination?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:53 pm »
wow.  my Italians are loaded, but so is everything else this year.  can't help you with the grafting thing.  i am partial to the yellows, but find them more finicky.  sometimes i get nothing from them when everything else has plenty.  this year, the branches are to the ground with fruit.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Prune type for pollination?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:49 am »
My advice will be like a broke person telling someone else how to get rich.

Cut a V in the root stock. Cut a wedge in the part you wish to graft on. I wouldn't have the new addition no more than about 6 inches long. If you have ever looked at a piece of fire wood that's been cut with a saw and laying on its side, you can see the difference in the outside bark and the rest of it. With the outside bark in mind -  make sure the bark of each graft is touching the other bark. This is where the nutrients and such flow. If you don't have those two alligned together the graft most likely won't take.

Then you need to wrap it up tight, splint, and wrap some more. Keep some moisture there as well.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything