Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you make molded candles flat on the bottom?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
How do you make molded candles flat on the bottom?
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:13:59 pm »
Some of our votive candles came out of their molds rounded on the bottom.  How do you flatten yours once out of the mold?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: How do you make molded candles flat on the bottom?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:53:42 am »
Some of our votive candles came out of their molds rounded on the bottom.  How do you flatten yours once out of the mold?

The wick wasn't all the way in.  Tea and Voltive wicks have a tin circle/weight on the bottom end and if wax gets under them it rounds the bottoms.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:13:29 am »
In one of the bee books I read it said/showed take a old warming plate or electric skillet and slide the wax across it, needs to be just hot enough to melt the wax.

Sorry I don't remember were I read It, It was about smoothing large pieces of wax to enter into competion.  :?

Good Luck
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:11:01 pm »
In one of the bee books I read it said/showed take a old warming plate or electric skillet and slide the wax across it, needs to be just hot enough to melt the wax.

We did this and it worked out quite well, thanks.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:05:56 am »
  Is it a top or bottom pour mold?
  If its a top pour mold I pull the wick up slightly before the wax sets,or pour a small amount of wax then place the wick, it keeps the base in the candle so it doesn't twist as the wax sets.
   If its bottom pour then fill the mold until its almost full as the bottom shrinks (Top of the mold )
top it off if you do it before the wax completely sets it will be seemless.
  Thats what works for me.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.