Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trap out in residence  (Read 1202 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
trap out in residence
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:57:38 pm »
Today I placed a 10 deep on a roof of a nice home with a PVC 1 1/4" pipe about 6" long from under the cornice to the hive.  I have a trap in the hive with a drop door, when the door is down the bees can get in the hive but cannot find their way back to the original home. The door is up now.  I have two frames of drawn comb 7 foundationless frames, the trap takes one frame space.  I have used this trap on a tree trap out last year very successfully.  Two questions, the middle of July seems late for a trap out but there was no other option, so I guess this is not a question but a statement.  The question is;  these bees are very busy with 3-5 a second coming in loaded with pollen yet the weatherman says there is hardly any pollen in their pollen count. So what are these bees storing so enthusiastically.  It is a large hive that has only been there "about two weeks" :wink: Wish us luck.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: trap out in residence
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:04:36 am »
Pollen count is a measure of pollen in the air.  Bees get their pollen from flowers.  For instance bees load up on golden rod pollen which does not get airborne.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:23:19 am »
What Brian said.

Paus,
Have you thought about what will happen to the honey when there are not enough bees to protect it from the SHBs?
Dripping honey and thousands of SHB larvae can bee real messy. Then it draws in roaches to clean it up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:02:38 am »
Yes we have discussed this with the owner and after the bees abandon the hive we are going to find the comb with a video viewer and then we will remove the comb. Yesterday I used a remote temp sensor and I think the bees are in a wall that is not going to be to much of a problem but only after the bees are gone as the only way to get to the comb is on an inside wall.  I did this on a tree for a business last year and the hive is a very strong 2 year old swarm.  Where the bees are entering they "could" be in four walls and the insulated attic in a place that is inaccessible.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
Have fun and good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:04 pm »
Thank you for the thought.    Tomorrow I plan on adding two ten frame deeps to a Lang top bar.  One top to cover both Langthrope boxes.  Hope this works out  OK.

anything