Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frames stuck to lid and boxes  (Read 4220 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Frames stuck to lid and boxes
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:31 am »
It is just really hard to pull my frames out. What is the cause of this and it is ok to give them a good tug to get them loose.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Frames stuck to lid and boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
try to break them loose first by moving the side to side.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:52 pm »
How often do you go into your hives? I'm new to this stuff, but I would say that propolis is your culprit. I find that the bees put that stuff on every single crack and crevice that they come across. I've got 2 hives that I believe make more propolis than honey. That dang stuff is everywhere. I swear they are trying to see how much it will take to keep me out of there business..... :angry: :angry: :angry:
Take a kid fishing !

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
I've had hives that are propolis crazy like that - there was tan colored taffy everywhere! I have a hive this year that makes and uses almost none. When inspecting, I always remove an end frame and put it aside, that way I can pry the other frames sideways into the empty space and break them free that way before lifting out. As I inspect a  frame I return it snug against the last so that when I'm done, I can push the whole set of frames at once back into their original position without squashing bees in between the frame edges, then just replace the first frame that I took out.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 01:22:46 pm »
The hives with the sticky gooey is hard but the stuff that goes pop gets the bees to fly in my face.
Cheers
gww

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:46 pm »
gw, if you're talking about the inner cover sticking to the frames, here's what I do. Slightly lift the inner cover and look inside. Using one hive tool to hold the inner cover up, take the other hive tool and push the frames down one by one. Once you do this look to see how many small hive beetles you just freed from prison. When some of my hives done this I would always see the prison walls.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:53:36 pm »
1.  If the inner cover is stuck to your frames then the space is not correct, usually too small but too large can cause them to run the comb off the lid too.
2.  Always break the wax and probolise between frames by prying between two adjacent frames at both ends one at a time.  Most the time the frame can be picked out after this is done.  Sometimes the bottom of the frame is burr combed to the top of the one below.  Then you have to wiggle back and forth before you pick.  A frame grabber makes this easier if you are not on the clock.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:00:41 pm »
I don't go into this hive a lot. It is a mature hive and very strong. Two full deeps and a shallow. Solid hive and I am going to harvest hopefully next week. Thanks for all the advice

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:21:49 am »
It can be the inner cover that will pop lose but some frames also seem to go all at once.  I only have one putty knife and I usually start on one side and put the little square part of the putty knife between  the frames while holding the frame steady with the other hand to midigate as it comes lose.  Some are like stuck in muck and pull out slowly part way but some has drier propolus and when it lets lose it just pops.  My inner covers are not usually stuck to frames but are stuck where they seam to the box top and more pop then not when getting the putty knife between the seam and prying the cover from the box.

I had to back off a little bit today but mostly if you back off and blow a little smoke the bees go on with thier buisness.  They do knowtice the pops though.
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:45 am »
A putty knife is a very poor tool to use for prying.  It is a spring when flexed and will certainly pop the cover.  Other found tools like chisels and pry bars are a substitute for a hive tool but a hive tool is designed the way it is because it works the best.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39:57 am »
I had to "pop" a glued down cover off one time and just like y'all described, "crack, crack, pop" and the bees let me know how they felt about it when they came filing out and let me have it. I usually suit up, but this time I only had a t shirt and a veil on.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
Ace
My putty knife is the painters putty knife with the big "U" or "C" cut out of the side.  It is probly just as expensive as a hive tool but I really like it.  It is also not real flexable.  It has one side that is exactly the right size for putting between frames and prying sidways and is sharp enough to cut wonky comb and yet wide enough on the end to smash and cap for the bees the wide stuff they sometimes build.  I admit to never trying a hive tool but have really grown to like the putty knife.

This is not the exact one I use but close.
http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/230-41310.html

I guess I just get used to things.
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 05:59:41 pm »
A heavy duty combination tool you might get away with but I know I would damage my frames if I tried to use that for breaking them loose.  I can't see the point in compromising with a tool when one or even two styles are specifically made for bee keeping.  They are not that expensive.  If you kill one queen with an accident you have about paid for two tools.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:46:26 pm »
Ace
My frames are oak, they don't break but some do warp ha ha.  They have the short hive tools at the store orscheln in my town now.  They have added a bee keeping line and have the short hive tool for about 6 bucks.  They are pretty high on most of thier stuff but I guess for a splurge buy they do have the basics.
I really have not seen issue with the putty knife.  I will eventually lose it and then maby I will try something else.  I find I lay stuff down and then can't remember where I layed it untill I find it days later laying in plain sight.  I bet I get to try lots of tools before this is over.
Cheers
gww

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:51:33 pm »
"I really have not seen issue with the putty knife"

As with other stuff your posts carry, "not yet" applies.

I may differ to most in that when I ask and am advised
I take it on board. Most things are easily proved or disproved
around beekeeping.
In the example of tools?
Pretty much everything used around a hive structure is
both blunt and light... there is good reason for this, long proven
as a standard.
Sure, I have used screwdrivers and even a very sharp Bowie
in times of desperation, and paid for it.
Spend the 12 bucks, everything else is too expensive.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 11:22:35 pm »
etillia
I may differ to most in that when I ask and am advised
I take it on board. Most things are easily proved or disproved
around beekeeping.
Yea, I didn't really ask but just stated what happened.  I have a my plan for beekeeping.  I don't say that plan is for every one but is for me untill I change.  Part of that plan is making everything I can and using what I have with out buying.  I got 4 gal of honey this year.  That (if I were to sell it) is what, about $200 worth of honey.  I could spend that much on an ultra-breeze bee keeping suit.  If I bought my hives it would cost more then that.  Then a smoker and bee brush and extractor and holding tank and unncapping station.

I don't belittle all those that get these things and may someday have them myself but I also am not unhappy to be keeping bees like I do as intertainment even in the wood working rather then buying.  I am just telling what I do and don't take it wrongly, I like it when I get advice even if I don't always listen.  I am new enough to know that I don't know what I am doing but also do know the things I like that are happening right now. 

I run all mediums and foundationless and I stand by the fact that I really like the putty knife.  I have a feeling that I would like foundation also but am happy right now with the foundationless and if I ever start getting some foundation, it will be because the bees have already paid for it.  I doubt I get it in advance of the bees.

Did I say that I like the putty knife :happy:.
Cheers
gww
Ps  I did buy a frame gripper and a clamshell queen catcher and have not used them yet.  I took the frame gripper to the hive one time but found it easier to just pry them up and lift them with my fingers.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:17 pm »
I got 4 gal of honey this year.
I didn't think you were using (buying) chemicals so it should be closer to 480 dollars.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:02 pm »
Ace
I am not using anything but sugar water on the new splits.  Everything else is making thier own way.  I have decided if I sell anything I am going to ask $10 for a pint and $18 for a quart, but the truth of the matter is that I have not sold anything and only given some away.  So I guess the honey is worth nothing or it is priceless depending on what good will from others is worth.  I do still hope to get a frame or two of fall honey so I can see what people talk about as far as the "dirty sock" smell that is associated with golden rod.  I would like to taste it just to see what I think.

If I can learn swarm control and if more then three of my hives live through winter,  I will have more hives to play with next year. 

I had a couple more gallons in the hive but the bees didn't fully cap the frames and what I have been told is that if they were not pulled around the end of june, the bees will make babies with it.

I am still interested and having a pretty good time. 
Cheers
gww

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 02:37:22 pm »
I use a hive tool and like it. But a guy that I know who has been keeping bees for years uses the putty knife/multi tool. I think when the term putty knife is used a lot of people are thinking about what I call a sheetrock knife, or a mud knife that is used for applying sheetrock mud. I have used one of them when I couldn't find my hive tool and it's a definite"no no"...way to flexible. But it did slide between boxes really well when I wanted to go into the bottom box of a hive.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 12:36:43 am »
Ace
I am not using anything but sugar water on the new splits.  Everything else is making thier own way.  I have decided if I sell anything I am going to ask $10 for a pint and $18 for a quart, but the truth of the matter is that I have not sold anything and only given some away.  So I guess the honey is worth nothing or it is priceless depending on what good will from others is worth.  I do still hope to get a frame or two of fall honey so I can see what people talk about as far as the "dirty sock" smell that is associated with golden rod.  I would like to taste it just to see what I think.

If I can learn swarm control and if more then three of my hives live through winter,  I will have more hives to play with next year. 

I had a couple more gallons in the hive but the bees didn't fully cap the frames and what I have been told is that if they were not pulled around the end of june, the bees will make babies with it.

I am still interested and having a pretty good time. 
Cheers
gww

Like your attitude, gww - keep on bee keepin'on!

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 01:03:59 am »
tjc1
Like your attitude, gww - keep on bee keepin'on!
Thank you.
gww

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 01:34:12 am »
I dont have much trouble with the lid sticking, but boy when I pull the queen excluder up and it snaps off  of the propolis they let me know they don't like it! :wink:

anything