Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey filtering and bottling questions..  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Honey filtering and bottling questions..
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:18:41 pm »
Whats a good set up for a hobby beekeeper to strain, filter, and all the honey?

We will be getting an extractor, dont need help with that, but after extraction... to filter it all...?

We also need a good system that would work with removed comb to crush and filter too...

Then I also would just like to bottle from there... 

All opinions are welcome. 

Offline A37

• New Bee

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Honey filtering and bottling questions..
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:46 pm »
Get the three peace set. Course, med,and fine filters. Then just cut the tophalf of two extra buckets to make a stacked filter setup. To do crush and strain goto HD or Lowes and get the five gal bucket paint strainer then just crush the comb in the bag and hang it over the bucket. Then ever day just sqeeze the bag to get the rest out. Easy to wash after use.

John

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:29:45 pm »
+1 for the Mann lake gear. If you have a lot to strain it may not be a bad idea to buy more than one set. I don't really crush and strain any honey, but when uncapping I just let gravity do the work. Also if you ever do get an extractor I would suggest this.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/extraction-bottling/honey-extraction/uncapping/combcapper-sup-reg-sup

I bought one this last winter. I have yet to use it but it solves one of my biggest pet peeves about extracting.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:38:36 am »
A lot will depend on how much you have to do at one time.  I don't try to strain while I am uncapping because it takes too long even with a coarse strainer.  If you run your cappings into a bucket you can drill holes in the lid and invert it over another bucket and let time do the majority of the work.  Then it is either the settling method or finer screening or both to take out what is left.

http://vid697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Videos/Extraction%202016_zpsjr5vnqwd.mp4
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMe

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:49:44 am »
When I set up for crush and strain here is what I did.  Remember I am a serious miser.  I got three food grade buckets the same size from a local caf? (my son?s) with lids.  I cut the middle from two of the lids leaving only an outer ring.  I drilled hole in two of the buckets.  I used the smallest drill bit on one and the next larger size on the other.  I put one ?ring lid? on the bucket with NO holes in the bottom.  I set the bucket with the smallest holes drilled in its bottom in this bucket with the ?ring lid? and place the second ?ring lid? goes on the second bucket.  I then put the third bucket (with the larger holes drilled in its bottom) on the stack.  The crushed honey/wax goes into the top bucket.  The full lid goes on top and the stack is left to drain.  If you want to hasten the processes, set the stack in the sun and if you are in an even bigger hurry, you might put a black bag over the stack being carful not to warm the stack so much the wax begins to melt. 
When I used this method, I was surprised how clean the honey was.  I then strained this honey into a bucket with a honey gate and was ready for bottling.
A bit long but hope that was helpful to someone, maybe another miser.
Calvin King
"But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand."  Isaiah 32:8

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:02 pm »
My first year, 2010, I bought a double bucket system that I still use to strain my honey. It is a 5 gallon bucket that has a second bucket on top that has a porous metal plate in the bottom. The plate supports the filter. You place a paint strainer in the top bucket and remove the honey from the valve in the bottom bucket. When I have less than 10 gallons of honey to bottle, I put the honey back in it to settle and use it to bottle.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin