Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot Hives  (Read 10503 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hot Hives
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 08:39:29 am »
i'm beating my head agains a wall trying to remember who i got them from Maybe Don, the fatbeeman? aka Dixie bee supply? I've heard several folks brag on his bees. I may be fixing to do some business with him.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 08:49:46 am »
The other thing is just open the inner cover, they'll let you know :)
I did do this without smoke and all three hives showed no aggression even though I was expecting it.  In summer though the top is 3-4 boxes away from brood nest.  How many guard bees hang around the top of the hive?  Oh yeah, I got a top vent some use as an entrance.  There should be some guard bees there.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 10:11:53 am »
They may be hot because they are over crowded.

I doubt they are over crowded. I just added a new box.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 11:15:15 am »
GSF,
Your hives may be hot because they are over crowded.
30-40 yards away is pretty aggressive.  It may be more than over crowding.

My hives are over crowded now, mainly because i can't get into them with good weather the same day I'm off work.  Some are mean with lots of guard bees.  Some not so mean.
I'm getting hit 5-10 yards out, first sting yesterday right before a big storm.
I've had problems with robbing as well. 

When I smoke they calm down, just smoke in the yard helps.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:40 am »
GSF,
Your hives may be hot because they are over crowded.
30-40 yards away is pretty aggressive.  It may be more than over crowding.

My hives are over crowded now, mainly because i can't get into them with good weather the same day I'm off work.  Some are mean with lots of guard bees.  Some not so mean.
I'm getting hit 5-10 yards out, first sting yesterday right before a big storm.
I've had problems with robbing as well. 

When I smoke they calm down, just smoke in the yard helps.

Thanks for the information

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 11:58:06 am »
Thanks jvalentour, These hives have been pretty packed population wise when I went in them and that may account for some of the activity. However, two or three of the swarms were hot just hanging on the limbs. The more you got stung, the more you'd get stung. I had them stinging me from a swarm about 30' up on a limb.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:58 am »
Thanks jvalentour, These hives have been pretty packed population wise when I went in them and that may account for some of the activity. However, two or three of the swarms were hot just hanging on the limbs. The more you got stung, the more you'd get stung. I had them stinging me from a swarm about 30' up on a limb.

I was always under the impression that swarms were pretty calm

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »
Not all. As mentioned before, some are darn right mean.
On the other hand an African swarm can be nice and calm until they start to build.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 12:46:39 pm »
Not all. As mentioned before, some are darn right mean.
On the other hand an African swarm can be nice and calm until they start to build.
Jim

Thanks. Yeah I read your account. It shocked me and I thought it was a one off thing. As for my getting stung from a long ways off I figure it has to be my hat I was wearing that did it. I have only ever had two good head butts and both have come while wearing that hat . It is a camo hat and they must not like the black on it. I have since been out by the hive much closer to the hive than either of the two head butts with no activity around me. They are now back to thinking I am harmless again.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 11:56:30 pm »
BW,
Were you wearing that hat when you were taking a hive apart?
It may bee that they recognize it as being the one that injured there hive mates.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2017, 09:20:07 am »
BW,
Were you wearing that hat when you were taking a hive apart?
It may bee that they recognize it as being the one that injured there hive mates.
Jim

No because I almost always wear a veil and have a white hat. They might recognize me in that hat as I used to wear it all the time out there. Two headbutts and a sting later I don't wear the hat now. It was odd. Headbutt then I felt the buzzing around my forearm but did not swat it away in time.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2017, 07:27:27 am »
We would not tolerate bees that are aggressive from 6 ft away let alone 40-60 ft.
We have one agro hive in 300 and it will be requeened in spring. working agro bees in not fun.

Do you guys not routinely use smoke?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:41 am »
We would not tolerate bees that are aggressive from 6 ft away let alone 40-60 ft.
We have one agro hive in 300 and it will be requeened in spring. working agro bees in not fun.

Do you guys not routinely use smoke?

I use it every time I open the hive. I have come to believe that I probably stepped on a spooked a scavenger since I was walking among where they were feasting at the time.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:19 am »
Yep had to be the hat. Been all over my bees without going in them and even cutting the grass around them and have not been bothered. Took 2 head butts and a sting with the hat on. The hat did have black on it.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:57 am »
I am brand new to this with my first hive but will soon have 5 and see how it is to mange 5 and go from there.
Honey won't be a money maker here in Thailand because the locals already sell unprocessed wild honey for 4.50 USD /quart.
You can go to the weekly farmers market and there will be a vendor or 2 crushing comb in a bucket and pretty much filling bottles to order because it sells so fast.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 09:19:30 am »
I am brand new to this with my first hive but will soon have 5 and see how it is to mange 5 and go from there.
Honey won't be a money maker here in Thailand because the locals already sell unprocessed wild honey for 4.50 USD /quart.
You can go to the weekly farmers market and there will be a vendor or 2 crushing comb in a bucket and pretty much filling bottles to order because it sells so fast.

Most hives are not hot. You will be ok

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:42 pm »

My bees are very docile. First few times I opened the hive, it was just to take a quick look inside to make sure all looked OK and they had sugar. I put some sugar in there when I got the NUC home until they did their first flights and found out where the food is.
The first real frame by frame inspection, I wore veil, gloves, last ng sleeve shirt, not one Bee came near me. I can probably transfer the NUC without gear, I am going to give it a try.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 09:19:29 am »

Yeah most of the time my bees do not even know I am there.

My bees are very docile. First few times I opened the hive, it was just to take a quick look inside to make sure all looked OK and they had sugar. I put some sugar in there when I got the NUC home until they did their first flights and found out where the food is.
The first real frame by frame inspection, I wore veil, gloves, last ng sleeve shirt, not one Bee came near me. I can probably transfer the NUC without gear, I am going to give it a try.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 12:44:58 pm »
Well, it's like someone flipped a switch. I walked out by the hives yesterday and nothing happened. I then walked through them a couple of times even crisscrossing and walking in front of hives, still nothing happened. I got buzzed once. A week ago they were stinging us whenever and wherever they saw us.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 02:58:18 pm »
GFS,
I'll bet there is a flow on now and wasn't when there was a problem.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything