Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My day at Don's (Fatbeeman's) place aka the wimpiest bees evar!  (Read 7813 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I once spent the day at Konasdad place and had a great time. I even remark on how wimpy his bees were. Because they weren't very aggressive. Even though they popped him once. They really didn't bother me. My bees while nice will express their displeasure if you don't follow procedure.

Now I had the chance to spend the day with Don. In the rain, doing things you really couldn't pay me to do in the rain with my bees. Them are some awesome bees. And Don is just an awesome beekeeper.

Now you need some notes on the day. Georgia is in a drought so any rain is welcome. Except by me. I did not buy a plane ticket and hotel and car rental to put up with acts of god. Now we had a second reason to go to Georgia and that was for my wife's grandmothers' funeral. Hey look she's dead and Don only holds his course on the first Saturday of the month. Okay that seems callous but we are talking bees here. Let's deal with what is important.

Now I flew into Atlanta on what would only be classified as an E ticket ride (the young 'ens can ask mom and dad). The turbulence was incredible. I love airplane rides where you can watch passengers white knuckle the armrest. I got in about 10:30pm finally in the hotel in Buckhead about midnight(because I am worth it and points mean I stay for free). And at 6am I am up again and confirming directions to some backwood area called Lula. Which is about an hour and half outside of Atlanta.

Now it's still raining. Don has mentioned he has contingency plans if it rains. Good because I am coming one way or the other. Oh yeah and I am bringing the wife. Now the drive out there is uneventful except for the rain. Which isn't heavy but light and constant. It's annoying because I can never get the right setting on the intermittent wipers. I arrive at Don's place and am greeting by his dogs and all the neighborhood dogs also.

Now let's dispel one myth fatbeeman isn't so fat. Sure he has a few pounds extra but hardly what I would call fat. He also has an energy to himself that even at his age will rival most men half his age. You can tell that energy when you first meet him. From his handshake to his attitude and enlightened tone of voice. He has no problem getting himself into trouble by doing things he shouldn't like lifting heavy hive boxes while recovering from surgery. Those darn staples just pop way to easy. Fortunately Janel was there to do most of the heavy lifting.

Now the rain was a constant factor through the day. And if this was Florida you would not catch me going into hives. Don's bees don't seem to mind the rain. However the rest of the humans do. Because of the rain all the rest of the students canceled. So Janel and I had an exclusive day course with Don and his methods and his bees. You may all be green with envy. :mrgreen:

Don started by going over his methods and why he uses them and how to duplicate them. You want to know what that is? Take his course it's only $35.00
Don spent time explaining what he does to his hives and why. You take what you want and use what works for you. A philosophy very close to my heart.

Now the treatments basically involve natural oils and FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) aka laxative. He has a special fogger. With that he can treat 50 hives in an hour if that. He has methods to which involve sprinkling a mix on paper towels and placing them in the hive and letting the bees do the work. His most extreme treatment would be plant derived oxalic acid. Which he uses against mites with a hot plug tray perhaps twice a year on his hives if they need it. I suspect they probably don't need it. This gas treatment is quick and doesn't effect honey frames. You don't leave it in the hive for long. And no nasty strips are involved.

Now Don's yard has lots of hives. Lots of them. In a variety of sizes and conditions. And a high tech labeling system that is the envy of any computer database out there. It involves bricks, wood plugs, and grass.

Now Georgia has this red clay and when it rains it is slippery. Don warned me and asked me if I was okay. I said I was fine and I was. the very next step I earned the dubious honor of becoming the second person in Don's history to use the clay pathway as a slip and slide. Did I mention I was wearing my brand new "Got a swarm , Just nuc 'em!" shirt. And that clay gathers in a beard really well. The comedic timing on this was priceless. Now I only mention this because I took out the top box of one of the hives as I made my slide into history. And the bees barely bothered to come out of the box. To such an extent that I was grateful I hit an empty hive box until Don pointed out, it was not empty.

Where were the mad stinging hordes of bees. This was very disappointing. It was raining slightly the barometric pressure was all over the place. To me this means bees that will sting first ask questions later. Don's bees were like would mind putting the cover back on I was taking a bath.

Now because of the lack of students Don went way above and beyond with Janel and I. We learned all sorts of things his wax sheet operation. How he makes his boxes. What he does for making queens. In all of the hives we looked in the only thing I saw was one small hive beetle. One very lonely SHB. It was almost depressing.

Don's methods are a common sense approach to dealing with bees. Form one step to the next. It just from one piece to the next until you have a finished picture.

It was a very memorable day. Well worth having to put up with rain and wimpy bees. :)

I can't wait until I get my wimpy queens.

In the pictures you will see a picture of Janel with her hand on top of a frame and not getting stung. Did I mention it was raining.

At the end of the day we spent time talking with Don and his wonderful wife, who questions whether he loves the bees or her more. because he spends so much time with his bees. ;)

As we drove back it stopped raining.

http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=142

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: My day at Don's (Fatbeeman's) place aka the wimpiest bees evar!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:31:35 pm »
hey Brendhan,
That was a good story you wrote about your trip!
 Pictures were good also!
 I wish my wife(Janelle) would go with me on a trip like that..I mean, she might, but she saves all her vacation to go back home to NY. I still like her doing stuff with me but she mostly likes doing portraits and I like doing bees and fishing.
 Again, good story for us out here!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:19:34 am »
I'm jealous!!! :'(

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:27:28 am »
This is a great story and I just loved those photos. Your wife is very brave to do this without any protection. What a wonderful experience. Don seems like a very unusual man with a ton of good experience.

I am happy for you and your adventure

Sincerely
Annette

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:19:17 am »
Fantastic pictures and wonderful story (and thanks for taking time out of writing it to talk to me) - I love the pictures.  I drive past Lula (about 1 hour north of my house) on the way to the mountains.  I'm signing up for a first Saturday and we can compare notes! (after I go to Young Harris in May, that is).

Linda T in Atlanta, envious of your experience

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:39:09 am »
I confirm everything Brendhan said about Don's bees.  Anyone with half a chance of getting to Lula needs to go there!  It's amazing.  Don's bees have to be the mildest mannered bees you will ever experience.  Too bad it was raining, Brendhan, if you were there when it was sunny the humming sound of all those bees is almost deafening!

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:49 am »
Thanks for the great story Brendan. I can only hope that sometime in my lifetime I can become as easy going and patient with my bees as Don is!

DennisB

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 10:46:28 am »
Very cool man!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:12:16 am »
You say there are wimpier bees than Mine? I have to get some!

More important than even bees, did you get a piece of Banana creme pie from the Buckhead Diner(looks like diner on outside-fancy rest on inside). Considered the best in the world by many authorities- and I like it too!

Not in a million years could I see my wife spending all day in a beeyard. Maybe you should teach a course in persuasive marital negotiations.
Glad you had fun.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:02 pm »
You say there are wimpier bees than Mine? I have to get some!

More important than even bees, did you get a piece of Banana creme pie from the Buckhead Diner(looks like diner on outside-fancy rest on inside). Considered the best in the world by many authorities- and I like it too!

Not in a million years could I see my wife spending all day in a beeyard. Maybe you should teach a course in persuasive marital negotiations.
Glad you had fun.
The Buckhead Dnner also has an incredible peach cobbler.
This time out I took my wife to a little place called Souper Jenny. They only serve lunch but it is the best lunch in the area.

My wife doesn't mind the bees. She minds the time I spend with them over her. ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
That name, Lula, sure sounds familiar.Is there a movie or song that mentions Lula?

your friend,
john

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:34:29 pm »
I lived in Atlanta, actually Decatur, for 2 years and I have no idea where Lula is.

Barbara
Barbara

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 05:23:58 pm »
It's off of Hwy 441 on the way to Rabun County.  It's north of Gainesville - I pass it on the way out of Atlanta going to Rabun Gap.  You drive off on a country road - not too far.

Linda T another Atlanta beekeeper

PS Come to the Metro Atlanta Beekeepers meeting this week (Wed) at 7 Am at the Botanical Garden

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 07:29:15 am »
Thanks for the pictures they were great.  Tony

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
It's not very nice to call hardworking, peaceful bees wimpy just because they don't want to fight...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 10:00:15 am »
Brendan, as usual, your beautiful writing skills took me right to Don's beeyard, some very nice pictures to go along with it.

I see and hear by the pictures and your story that Don vapourizes oxalic acid.  The apparatus in the pictures that he employs looks nearly identical to the one that I use, it is quick, efficient and can be used when brood is present in the colony.  Robo uses that apparatus too and likes it.  I like the natural product that he also uses within the colony to keep the mite populations down too.  Anyways, nice accounting.  Have a beautiful and greatest of this day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 09:38:49 pm »
 Do his bees have a favorite program they watch on the tv? :-D
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:20 pm »
Your story was fun to read. Thanks for taking the time to write it and share the experience and the pictures with us.
Judy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 10:16:01 am »
It's not very nice to call hardworking, peaceful bees wimpy just because they don't want to fight...

lol your right! This was an interesting article from 16 years ago. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything