Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poison Ivy.  (Read 10461 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Poison Ivy.
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:18 pm »
I am really allergic to Poison Ivy. When I was young, every year I ended up with a bad case of it so I am always on the look out for it. When I first bought my farm I noticed there were very few places that it grew. The previous owner had had cows but it had been 3 years from the time he had them last and when we had them. I noticed it was harder and harder to find it. Now the only place poison ivy grows on my farm is where the cows are fence from getting it. They must eat it it every time they find it. This is something that I have never heard before.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
Re: Poison Ivy.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
I've never seen a cow eat it. If PI tries to grow where they walk they'll trample it.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:00:57 am »
The deer on my property seem to like it a lot. I see them go to PI patches and eat. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:57:28 pm »
I have a tree next to my new house that has a large vine going up the tree. Around the tree are tiny PI leaves just starting to grow. The cows must have been keeping them picked until I put in a new fence this winter. I have sprayed the leaves and cut the vine.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline droopy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:34:03 am »
also just in case you miss any I would grab some jewel weed chop it up make a tea with it and then freeze the tea in ice cube trays. then you will always have a quick cure for anything that bites stings or itches

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »
Droopy,
Welcome to Beemaster.
What does Jewel Weed look like.
I have no idea where I got it from, probably from thinking about it when I wrote this thread, but my right arm is driving me nuts due to a poison ivy rash.  :angry:
I didn't even go in the woods this past weekend. I must have touched something that had the oil on it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
Droopy,
Welcome to Beemaster.
What does Jewel Weed look like.
I have no idea where I got it from, probably from thinking about it when I wrote this thread, but my right arm is driving me nuts due to a poison ivy rash.  :angry:
I didn't even go in the woods this past weekend. I must have touched something that had the oil on it.
Jim

Sorry, didn't realize you have it right now... Try plantain... Plantain is far more common, you probably have some in your yard. Do a google image search on the following 4 species of plantain? Plantago major, Plantago lanceolata, Plantago virginica or Plantago rugelii. Plantago lanceolata or Lanceleaf plantain is the easiest to identify and find.

I always use plantain for PI. I think it works better than jewel weed. Jewelweed can cause chemical like burns on some folks, they have a reaction to it. Plantain is always safe. The seed of one species of plantain is used to make ?Metamucil? lol.  :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:55 pm »
I have been using Vagisil, Per KathyP's recommendations. I forgot to bring it with me yesterday and it started getting out of hand. It definitely seems to help reduce the blisters.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:27 pm »
This is lanceleaf plantain...

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 01:22:39 pm »
This is virginia plantain

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »
Thanks Peanut.
Is that seed pod from that plant? I do not think that i have any around here. I will have  to look.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »
Yep the lanceleaf seed stalk is about a foot tall. the seed head is sort of triangle shaped...

I made plantain tincture last fall? I use it all the time, even today. It speeds the healing of cuts, scrapes, major surgery, any kind of insect bite, it?ll pull out the venom. I healed up a brown recluse spider bite with Virginia plantain 4 years ago. And it works on PI.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:36 pm »
As a kid in PA, we used to take the seed stem, wrap it around the base of the pod and and pull it and the seed pod would shoot out.
I will have to look for it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
As a kid in PA, we used to take the seed stem, wrap it around the base of the pod and and pull it and the seed pod would shoot out.
I will have to look for it.
Jim
Yup. Poor mans cops and robbers with those.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 09:54:57 am »
This is the kind I see around here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Plantain.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:05:50 pm »
Plantain - The Indians use to call it "White man's footsteps" The early settlers would plant the seed any and every where. It's also edible (the kind I'm use to). Boil it, pour the water out, then boil again.

Jim: you tube "The southern herbalist" (Darryl Patton) He recommends eating a very small piece of the leave from a poison ivy plant. You do this by taking a slice of litebread grabbing the leave, tearing it, wrapping it up with the bread, then get a glass of water and swallow it whole. He demonstrates this on the video.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:55 pm »
GSF,
I'm in the Dr waiting room now. The rash is out of control.
The thought of eating PI scares the hell out of me.  :shocked:
I will check out the site later.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline droopy

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »
i'm not very good at describing things so perhaps google would be of more help. maybe jewelweed is more prevelant up here in the northeast as its everywhere.grows to about 4 feet with a small orange flower at the top and a hollow stalk that oozes milk if squeezed

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »
i'm not very good at describing things so perhaps google would be of more help. maybe jewelweed is more prevelant up here in the northeast as its everywhere.grows to about 4 feet with a small orange flower at the top and a hollow stalk that oozes milk if squeezed

droopy, jewelweed is common near water in the south. just not as common as plantain, it grows everywhere.  :smile:

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »
If you get into poison ivy, wash it with Dawn and as hot water as you can tolerate. Works like a charm.

anything