BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary

(1/3) > >>

SouthAussieBeekeeper:
I have an electric honey spinning extractor. I have an apiary which I'm having some logistic issues with taking the frames back home to spin, so I'd like to try and extract my honey when out in my apiary.

Problem is I don't have an electrical source available to me out at the apiary. I'm wondering if there's a way I can take an electrical source out there with me. Would a generator work, or would that cost too much money for it to be worthwhile? Would solar panels be able to run an extractor? What about taking a bunch of batteries?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Otherwise, I'm thinking of spending hundreds to buy myself a manual spinning extractor. I might be able to pick up a two frame manual extractor for under $500. Seems like it'd take a long time to hand spin dozens of frames though.

TheHoneyPump:
What is the extractor you have now?  Assuming it is electric, what does the plate on the motor say?  It should list power, voltage, full load amps (fla), phase, frequency, those sort if things.

Going to assume you will be out there with a truck.  Depending on the size of the extractor, and those motor nameplate numbers, you could potentially power it from the truck electrical system.  There are ac/dc inverters that can convert the truck power (12vdc) to what the extractor requires.

Acebird:
I would use an inverter off your vehicle and make sure you don't drain the battery such that you can't start it.

BeeMaster2:
Let?s say your motor draws 5 amps, I doubt it is much more than that, and it uses 110 volts. That means it needs 550 watts of power. Start up current is 6 times running current. Since you always start out slow and then build up speed, 1000 watts should be all it needs to start up. A small generator that can handle 1500 watts or more should be all you need.
You can also use a 1500 watt inverter, as mentioned, connected to your truck battery. Be sure to use at least an AWG-6 wire to connect it up. Be sure to run the truck motor while you are using it or you will have a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.
If it uses 220 volts, the current will be half. The 12 volt current will still be up around 50 amps.
I will check on what my motor draws and let you know.
Jim

BeeMaster2:
I just just checked, my motor draws 1.9 amps. Less than 250 watts. I would at least get a 1000 watt generator or inverter. I think that once you have it you will use it for a lot of other things while in the Bush.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version