Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: two hives two stories  (Read 98 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
two hives two stories
« on: May 25, 2023, 07:01:24 pm »
hello everybody
hope your bee season is going well. I received my 2 packages on May 6. I installed them in the 2 hives I had last year that died. There was tons of honey in there so I thought it was a good way to give them a start. There was also plenty of empty frames for the queen to lay. Queens were out by the following Saturday May 13. I checked them again today.

One hive is 8-frame, trafffic at the door has been high since day 1, and when I opened them May 13 I saw eggs, but not the queen. I decided to give them another box of mostly empty frames since it looked like there was not enough empty cells for the queen to lay (they had filled a lot of them with nectar and pollen).  This second box was almost full again today of nectar, pollen and brood. The queen is doing her job beautifully.

The other hive is 10 frame, and traffic at the door has been low since day 1. When I opened them on May 13 I didn't see any eggs but saw the queen walking around. This hive had 2 marshmallows on the queen box so I assumed she had taken longer to get out (the other one had only 1 marshmallow). I left them in one box. Today the situation was so-so. Bees mostly on 4 frames. Lots of brood, well organized on those frames. The other 6 frames were not used by the bees.

I took one frame of brood from the other hive and gave it to them and replaced it with an empty frame. ANything else I can do? What can explain this difference?

thank you as always

Rosario
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:41:28 am by rgennaro »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: two hives two stories
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 07:16:00 pm »
Did you see brood in all stages in the 10 frame today?  Did the 10 frame have any honey or pollen?  Do you have a flow on right now? 

If you answered "yes" to all these questions, then I would guess they are just a little behind, perhaps due to the queen being slower to release like you mentioned.  But as long as they continue to grow, I'd assume they would catch up to the other hive soon.

If you don't have a flow on right now and they are low on stores, then I'd feed them, since they can't effectively raise babies without enough food.  I would especially feed them if you aren't seeing capped brood in the hive.     

If you aren't seeing eggs or very young larvae, I'd be concerned something is wrong with the queen.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 10:31:23 pm »
I'll check again about the brood, but I am pretty sure it was there in all stages, definitely lots of capped brood. There is pollen and open nectar too. They have full frames of capped honey ... should I still feed them? 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 11:00:23 pm »
I'll check again about the brood, but I am pretty sure it was there in all stages, definitely lots of capped brood. There is pollen and open nectar too. They have full frames of capped honey ... should I still feed them?
If they have food, and especially if you have nectar and pollen coming in (which based on the other hive's progress, I'd assume you do), then no, I wouldn't feed them.  As long as there are no other red flags, my guess is they are just a little behind the other hive.  Give them a couple of weeks, and if they continue to make steady progress, I wouldn't be concerned. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything