Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesgold?s Road Trip  (Read 16387 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Lesgold?s Road Trip
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2023, 12:27:06 pm »
nice camper.  looks the perfect size for a couple of people on a road trip!  Looks like a great place to camp.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2023, 02:09:17 pm »
Was lucky enough to see a large shark swimming close to shore on dusk and also a few turtles.
:shocked:  Awesome!  Do you have any idea what kind of shark it was?  Or did you decide to not get close enough to find out?  :wink: :cheesy:

We are now in Exmouth on the top of North West Cape. Quite a tourist based town with plenty to do and see.
So does Australia have a lot of undeveloped beaches?  I'm not sure what it's like on the American west and gulf coasts, but a lot of the beaches on the east coast that I have been to are very developed with hotels, beachfront homes, boardwalks, etc.  Only our National Seashores are wild.  Or are you guys just visiting those types of ecologically protected areas?   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2023, 02:16:17 pm »
Was lucky enough to see a large shark swimming close to shore on dusk

I dont suppose you will be swimming? 😊

Sure is a beautiful spot Les. Sometimes no phone connection is preferable!   :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 04:40:32 am »
A lot of the coastline is controlled by national parks. In many places, camping areas are clearly defined. Most places don?t have electricity or water so you have to be self contained. A few areas do provide primitive toilets. Quite a few of the large cattle stations also offer camp spots for a fee. Some of those are very nice and are a less regulated alternative to caravan parks. I was told that the shark was a tiger shark but it was close to dark and that couldn?t be confirmed. We still swam in that area but not in the early morning or late afternoon.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2023, 10:08:12 pm »
We have moved location and are now staying on a small cattle station (about 250000 acres) that provides accommodation for travellers. Many years ago the station saw the potential for creating a business to supplement income from the farm. It continues to grow as it is something that is quite unique and sought after by many people. The station has a cafe and has special entertainment and meal nights to keep visitors happy. It has a relaxed, informal and country feel to it. Here is a series of pictures to show some of its unique features:

The first shot is the dining area. It was the shearing shed in its past life. The second shot is of a donkey hot water system. A tank of water is heated by fire and as the water is used, cold water enters the tank to replace the water utilised by people showering.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2023, 10:17:06 pm »
Toilet and shower blocks are scattered throughout the campground. Recycled materials are utilised to construct the buildings and each block is unique in its design. Shower heads are old metal buckets with holes drilled into the base.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2023, 11:57:36 pm »
Les I am very much enjoying your described journey, (as I have said before). I do not see much grass on the station grounds. I suppose the grazing is sparse to say the least. However; 250000 acres should afford a good heard to make it ok. My folks on my Dads side were cattle people. We ran 2 cows per acer in my area. How many acres does it take to graze a cow in this particular station location?

PS I bet you and the Mrs. are enjoying the peace, rest, and relaxation! What kind of food was served here, and what type of entertainment? Keep the reports of the adventure coming Les!

Thanks,

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2023, 08:40:20 pm »
Hi Phillip

We are enjoying the trip. The station put on a burger night last night and served 430 people. It is a popular evening and the place was pumping last night with live music making the outing quite enjoyable. There is not much grass at the moment as it has turned dry after a good wet season. Cattle are stocked at one cow per eighty acres but this will be reduced due to the dry season. A muster is going to start soon. 3000 cattle are held on the property. When we can access wifi, I will download some pictures taken recently. We hit the road today heading inland into the Hamersley Range.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2023, 12:41:20 am »
Hi Phillip

We are enjoying the trip. The station put on a burger night last night and served 430 people. It is a popular evening and the place was pumping last night with live music making the outing quite enjoyable. There is not much grass at the moment as it has turned dry after a good wet season. Cattle are stocked at one cow per eighty acres but this will be reduced due to the dry season. A muster is going to start soon. 3000 cattle are held on the property. When we can access wifi, I will download some pictures taken recently. We hit the road today heading inland into the Hamersley Range.
Holy cow!  (No pun intended.  :cheesy:)  That's insanely few cattle!  No wonder they have so much land.  Is that normal for this area to have so little forage?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2023, 09:32:54 am »
Hi Phillip

With 430 folks, live music, and entertainment, Y'all had quite a shindig! I bet the place was pumping!  :grin:
Im not very familiar with the cattle grazing out west 'here' in America which is dry and perhaps similar in situation, and as I understand it, in Southwest Texas the grazing is sparse, but what grazing is available is packed with nutrition.
Its nice to hear y'all are having such a good time Les..

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2023, 03:09:28 am »
Hi Reagan,

On that particular station, they were having to reduce the stocking rate as dry conditions meant that times were getting tougher. I know someone else who manages a cattle station in drier country and they only run 10000 head on a million acres. You are right Phillip, it was a very good night. We have been off the grid for a couple of days with no phone or wifi reception. Will get some more pics up shortly.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2023, 03:27:21 am »
Finally have access to wifi so I could download a few pictures. 5 days ago my wife and I went on a whale shark dive for the day. We had a short snorkel on the outer reef in about 5 or 6 metres of water followed by a series of short dives with whale sharks. The sharks were located by spotter planes and the boats were positioned close by so that snorkellers could jump in and watch them swim by. This was a bucket list activity for me and the whole day was an enjoyable event. We saw beautiful coral, reef sharks, a manta ray, turtles and even a sea snake. On my last dive of the day, a sail fish was also spotted swimming close to a whale shark. It has been one of the trip highlights to date.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2023, 11:30:03 am »
Very cool!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2023, 12:42:44 pm »
Finally have access to wifi so I could download a few pictures. 5 days ago my wife and I went on a whale shark dive for the day. We had a short snorkel on the outer reef in about 5 or 6 metres of water followed by a series of short dives with whale sharks. The sharks were located by spotter planes and the boats were positioned close by so that snorkellers could jump in and watch them swim by. This was a bucket list activity for me and the whole day was an enjoyable event. We saw beautiful coral, reef sharks, a manta ray, turtles and even a sea snake. On my last dive of the day, a sail fish was also spotted swimming close to a whale shark. It has been one of the trip highlights to date.
THAT IS AMAZING!!  I can't imagine how awesome that must have been!  :cool:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2023, 07:15:23 pm »
Les,
There is a great one to check off on your bucket list. 🤗
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2023, 08:14:34 pm »
At the moment we a in the Pilbara region which is famous for its vast mountains of iron ore. We are currently in Tom Price which is a mining town. The photos don?t really show the beauty of the area. We also briefly stopped in a in a town called Paraburdoo which was the home of a famous canine back in the 70?s called Red Dog. A funny film of that name was released in 2011 starring John Lucas. An ocker Aussie film that I never get sick of watching.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2023, 01:17:07 pm »
We also briefly stopped in a in a town called Paraburdoo which was the home of a famous canine back in the 70?s called Red Dog. A funny film of that name was released in 2011 starring John Lucas. An ocker Aussie film that I never get sick of watching.
I love Australian/New Zealand cinema; I'll have to take a look at that one.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2023, 08:38:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have been ?off the grid? again for a few days as we camped out in the Pilbara region in Karijini National Park. An awesome place with deep gorges cut into the arid landscape. The scenery was outstanding with red cliffs guiding crystal clear water often through very narrow spaces. This place was a photographers dream.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2023, 08:46:56 pm »
The beauty of the area was not confined to the gorges. The iron rich area of the Pilbara was on show no matter where you looked. The mountains, trees and even the beauty of the naturally occurring blue asbestos were all on show. Next stop is Port Headland to stock up and rest for a couple of days.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2023, 07:51:15 am »
Beautiful!  Reply 58 Looks a lot like some areas of our American Southwest..

Just for curiosity, is there gold known to be in this iron rich location Les?

Phillip