Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mods and Typos (Re: That's Funny)  (Read 8645 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Mods and Typos (Re: That's Funny)
« on: May 13, 2023, 04:56:07 pm »
You're a moderator. If you saw that, why didn't you modify it. That's part of your job.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Mods and Typos (Re: That's Funny)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:24:27 pm »
You're a moderator. If you saw that, why didn't you modify it. That's part of your job.
No offense, but if part of our job description was to fix people's typos, we'd never get anything else done.   :wink: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 07:20:18 pm »
I don't think there are enough typos on here to take 10 minutes a week.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 07:38:38 pm »
I don't think there are enough typos on here to take 10 minutes a week.
Perhaps, unlike me, you are not a licensed member of the Grammar Police.  :cool:  If I proofread everyone's posts as heavily as I do my own and corrected typos, grammatical errors, punctuation errors, and misspellings, I'd be correcting probably half the posts each day, and I'm not exaggerating.  :rolleyes:  I'm a writer, so I care deeply about these things, and most people don't, which is also fine.  :happy:       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 09:57:06 pm »
As you know, I have my own forum. No, I don't proof read every post, but when i occasionally find a typo, I fix it. It only takes a second.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 10:26:13 pm »

If you will take a 'second' 'look' you will see "1921" 'was' posted under this topic titled "That's Funny". As far as I knew 'at the time', he might have added that in for good measure.
Being you have your own forum, you of all people should know when to use decrement.   :tongue:   :cool:

Phillip
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 10:54:16 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 10:47:42 pm »
I knew what he meant also, just poking a little fun!

I feel pretty sure Jimmy is a good natured fellow who appreciates a smile between friends, and took no offense...
:happy:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 10:54:30 pm »
I knew what he meant also, just poking a little fun!

I feel pretty sure Jimmy is a good natured fellow who appreciates a smile between friends, and took no offense...
:happy:

Phillip
Sorry, Jimmy, we are TOTALLY hijacking this thread.  If it's bothering you, we can split this whole conversation off and put it somewhere else, if you'd like. 

Okay, so being entirely serious at this point, is this something that people actually would like done?  If we moderators notice confusing mistakes in posts, do you want us to fix them?  Because personally, I wouldn't want that.  But I am always very careful about what I am trying to say, and how I am attempting to communicate my thoughts to everyone through text.  Do I always get it right?  Of course not.  Just the other day I accidentally indicated to Jim that I might mix bleach and vinegar.  :embarassed:  But I wouldn't want moderators running around correcting my posts for me, exclusively because I wouldn't want someone accidentally changing my intended meaning if they edited something I wrote and had misunderstood my intent.  I would far rather deal with funny typos and small temporary misunderstandings than have someone else editing my posts for clarity.  Any mistake where the intent is obvious enough to be easily and accurately corrected by a moderator is also obvious enough for readers to correct in their heads, many times automatically without noticing the typo was ever there. 

If you will take a 'second' 'look' you will see "1923" 'was' posted under this topic titled "That's Funny". As far as I knew 'at the time', he might have added that in for good measure.
Being you have your own forum, you of all people should know when to use decrement.   :tongue:   :cool:

Phillip

A perfect example here.  Jimmy posted the year 1921, but Phillip has quoted him as saying 1923.  Phillip CLEARLY means 1921.  Does that need to be corrected for clarity?  Phillip, would you be weirded out if you saw I had edited your post for that reason?  (Because I would be.)       

But maybe my opinion isn't shared by others.  Maybe people would rather have me and the other moderators proofreading and editing their posts for them if we notice obvious errors?  I'm honestly asking. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 11:05:28 pm »
If you go back and check Reagan, I reread and corrected from 1923 to 1921, 'before' your last post. lol... (see modify time at the bottom of the page of my last post). But your point is 'well taken'. This is no big deal. I think it is just that Iddee likes 'trying' to dig at me at any opportunity (unfortunately for him, 'sometimes' with a dull shovel).   :shocked: :cheesy:   lol.
Nothing new from him to me.  :wink:   :cheesy:
But I still luv the 'old grouch'.. He has taught me a lot about honey bees!!!  :grin:

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 11:19:16 pm by Ben Framed »

salvo

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 11:13:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sal

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 11:14:06 pm »
A true statement indeed Sal!  :cheesy:

Phillip

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 01:21:39 am »
Moderators are not modifiers imo, no need to go around correcting grammar and typos. I would hate people modifying my posts personally, I'd be less likely to post if that were happening.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 05:23:45 am »
hoKay, mi mistuck. Hi want done hit no mo.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 09:57:30 am »

hoKay, mi mistuck. Hi want done hit no mo.

Iddee, I hate to be the one to point this out, but your grammar seems to be a little off. Would you like for one of us to 'try' and 'decipher' then 'modify' that for you? lol  :cheesy:  :grin:  :tongue:

Phillip

Online jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 10:36:53 am »
Reagan,
   Perhaps we should move this entire thread to "Humor is a Funny Thing" since it has obviously deteriorated into semi-chaos.
And, sadly, no one has addressed my original post and solved my mysterious appearance of eggs above and below a double screen board after a week. :cheesy:
  jimmy
jimmy

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 01:15:34 pm »
Personally, I don't mind a typographical "autocorrect" from any moderator. 

What I do mind is a moderator posting "Well said" and "I agree" and re-quoting with HTML after nearly EVERY COMMENT.  I think it fills this resource with text, rather than building with information.  It actually made me stop posting here for the most part. 

So I fixed it by chaging my settings to block the comments of a moderator who repeats everything.  Now my thread reads "You are ignoring this user."  Problem satisfactorily solved.  :)

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 02:00:51 pm »
Florida, I have found the "I agree." type comments useful ... as examples of consensus among people more knowledegable about bee stuff. Also, quoting of previous texts helps to draw attention to the particular point so you don't have to go back searching for something you might have missed when an "I agree" comes up.
... just a fwiw from a bumbling newbee.

and not just from moderators but from experienced beekeepers in general
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 02:07:25 pm »
Personally, I don't mind a typographical "autocorrect" from any moderator. 

What I do mind is a moderator posting "Well said" and "I agree" and re-quoting with HTML after nearly EVERY COMMENT.  I think it fills this resource with text, rather than building with information.  It actually made me stop posting here for the most part. 

So I fixed it by chaging my settings to block the comments of a moderator who repeats everything.  Now my thread reads "You are ignoring this user."  Problem satisfactorily solved.  :)
Florida, I have found the "I agree." type comments useful ... as examples of consensus among people more knowledegable about bee stuff. Also, quoting of previous texts helps to draw attention to the particular point so you don't have to go back searching for something you might have missed when an "I agree" comes up.
... just a fwiw from a bumbling newbee.
The main issue is that this forum doesn't have a like button.  If we had the ability to just like someone's post to show that we agreed with their comments, people wouldn't feel the need to post those "I agree" or "Thumbs Up" types of posts.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 04:44:12 pm »
It you would to add a thunks up provided by Beemaster Forums simply click the empty page next to  Posted by

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 05:16:00 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 04:45:26 pm »
By doing so will give you the following options by doing so.