Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: That's Funny  (Read 2407 times)

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
That's Funny
« on: May 12, 2023, 10:05:02 am »
      That's funny--like strange, not humorous.  I had a holdover hive from last year, with a 1921 queen.   It was growing too big, so I put in a double screen board.  Then I went back a week later, and found eggs above the DSB and eggs below the DSB.  Now, that's funny.  But I don't know what to do now.
    jimmy
jimmy

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: That's Funny
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 10:20:07 am »
Separate them and let the bees do their thing I would say. If there's eggs on both sides there's either two queens or she traveled down below. Either way as long as there's eggs they can make a queen so there's no harm in splitting them now, right?
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 11:21:16 am »
Jiminey,
Make sure you have an opening for the top hive and leave it there for 30 days. This allows the new queen to hatch out get mated and have open brood. The bottom hive is queen right and her pheromones will protect the top hive until she has open brood. You will need to add a super to the bottom hive to give that hive room to grow or they will swarm in about 20 days.
Hope this helps.
This is how I make all of my splits. Very high success rate.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:04:46 pm »
A 1921 queen?!?! I want a pic   :wink: :wink:
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 04:34:31 pm »
with a 1921 queen
I was only off 100 years. :oops:
jimmy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 04:38:45 pm »
I seen that but didn't say anything, I knew what you meant.  :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 06:31:12 pm »
I knew what he meant also, just poking a little fun!

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 12:10:28 pm »
A little humor in general beekeeping helps bring a smile to those who may need one from time to time. All in fun among friends..
:grin:

To address you interest Jimmy, I will add my two cents. Sounds to me like you 'possibly' have two queens. Either way; Occam or Jims suggestion should remedy the
mystery, even if it is not yet solved.

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 02:25:24 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.