Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Call for a cut out  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Call for a cut out
« on: May 10, 2023, 07:08:41 pm »
Just got a call last night from a guy that, from what he described, saw the swarm either move in or was just moved in based on the amount of bees he was describing. He'd like them removed so I'm going to see about helping him out next week. Having a regular job puts a real damper on bee stuff. I'll be interested to see if the heat signature increases significantly before I can get back there

Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Call for a cut out
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 07:26:13 pm »
You might want to consider a trapout. With little or no stores, it shouldn't take long.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 07:40:57 pm »
I'll definitely look at it and take that as a serious option

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 01:40:06 am »
Occam,
If they just moved in I would definitely just smoke the heck out of it and force them out. It can bee done if there is no brood in it. Make sure you have a lot of material above the burning material so that it cools the smoke. You don?t want a flame thrower that would set the house on fire. The sooner you do it the easier it is to move them out. Have a box ready for them to fill when they are ready to come out. If you have any, spray Beequick into the top of the smoker. You could do this one in the evening with a red light.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 08:54:08 am »
That's a thought also. I would think that if it's been roughly a couple weeks they would have some brood already though, right? No way to confirm on this one without opening the wall some. I'm also honestly a little hesitant to try after my failed tree smoke out attempt last summer...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 11:59:16 am »
 It's a gamble. We had a guy a few years ago. He didn't want to pay 300.00 for a removal, so he smoked them out. 14,500 dollars damage and the bees moved to the other side of the house.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 07:34:26 pm »
I think just based on both my time and on what the homeowner would prefer I'll stick with a trapnoit, I appreciate the suggestion Iddee

I do have a question after reading through all the posts of the trap out threads. I never saw any follow up on the ideas being tossed around on capturing the queen doing the trap out, did anyone ever come up with a reliable method of capturing her?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 08:53:30 pm »
That's why you start with eggs. You don't capture the queen with my method. She absconds with the last handful of bees. A few times, I have been there when she came out and I caught the small swarm, but that is very seldom.

Of course, there's always the Cleo Hogan method, but I have heard different stories on it's successfulness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9KSNAhAeI

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 06:24:48 am »
Yeah, it makes sense to use eggs from the start. I'm sure I'll go with the tried and true method since I've never done a trap out before, was just curious if others had found reliable updates to the system resulting in capturing her as well

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 06:45:00 am »
Occam,
Sometimes I do get the queen when doing Trapouts. Usually it happens when the hive is so big and I have to keep changing out the hive box that I put next to the entrance because there are so many bees coming out of the hive. I suspect that it helps to have a fresh box of brood with no queen cells in it when she comes out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 12:27:48 pm »
Cool that you've had some success at that, I'm glad it's worked out

Makes me wonder though...

Could you do a combination of these things? I wonder about starting the trapout, using your method iddee, with brood and getting bees into the appropriate new box; then after a week or two when they've started the queen cells take that box away and set another box in its place with the cone extended into it with a queen excluder over the entrance. Or like you said Jim, with the cone next to the entrance when she high tails it out of there. Then when she absconds the wall nest n the next week or two she's in the box. Then you end up with 2 hives from the trapout process.

I suppose it's just more work and may not work, just got me to thinking.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 01:19:54 pm »
It is all learned from trying. Let us know how it works out.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2023, 01:24:11 pm »
Absolutely, will do

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 08:31:27 pm »
So it's been crazy busy here and I'm finally getting around to seeing up the trap out. I have a question about the brood frame... how long can it be out of the hive before the brood get damaged because it's cooled down? Or is it more a matter of not dropping below a certain temp I will probably be setting up Friday morning around 7am, should I pull a frame early that morning or is it ok the night before if the box doesn't go below a certain temp?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 06:13:38 am »
I would wait until Friday when you have the setup complete. Then carry the EGG frame over and install it. You want EGGS..

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 08:09:37 am »
I gotcha. It's about a 45 minute drive so maybe I'll try ro set it up this afternoon and drop the frame with eggs in the morning.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 09:24:46 am »
You will also want nurse bees in there. Enough to cover the brood until the cut out bees start to move in. To get nurse bees, just put a frame in the cut out box with bees on it and leave it set for a few minutes. The field bees will go home.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 11:14:06 pm »
Thanks Jim, that's helpful as well!