Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Packaging/ Gift Packs  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Honey Packaging/ Gift Packs
« on: April 16, 2023, 12:57:25 am »
Hi Folks,

A few weeks ago I went to see my daughter who lives about 2 1/2 hours drive from home. Her in laws were also going to be visiting so I thought it may be nice to make up a small hamper of beekeeping products for them to take home. My wife and I went to a local dollar shop and bought a couple of goodies to hold the gift. A cane basket, some shredded paper and some cellophane was purchased to hold a couple of small jars of honey, 2 candles and a piece of comb honey. My wife put the hamper together and it came up looking a treat. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the hamper. The basket and the shredded paper was returned to us and that small gift got me thinking about utilising this approach for gifts in the future or potentially value adding for honey sales (especially around Xmas) Here is a photo of the basket that was utilised:

Do any of you guys present honey in special ways to help make a market display or gift look more attractive? I?d be interested in ideas as this type of approach can improve the appearance of a product, help with a visual display or value add to honey products. I have been working on a few ideas and will post some of them when our local markets conclude this weekend.

Cheers

Les

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey Packaging/ Gift Packs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 06:55:10 am »
My first attempt at packaging was to construct a simple box utilising some old pallet material. The rough, raw and at times stained timber gave an organic appearance and was exactly what I was after. I handed the box to my wife and this is what she came up with:

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 05:59:31 pm »
Had a play at making some mini crates from old pallet material to display a gift pack of two different types of honey. When I showed my daughter she was impressed but said the work involved may make it too expensive. I responded by saying that this type of presentation adds to the display of items for sale at the markets. It?s about drawing people in to have a look. The rest looks after itself. After her comment, I decided to go down to the workshop and see how long it would take to cut the material to size and assemble one unit. In total it took 6 minutes to make. They could be made quicker than that by producing larger quantities. My initial thinking would be to sell the gift pack for $20. What do you think? Each jar holds 500 grams of honey.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 06:12:30 pm »
Personally, as a consumer, I am much more drawn to the large crate and basket than the small one.  It's just a weird small size that I can't envision myself reusing easily or at all.  I wouldn't pay more for it.  Now for the large crate or basket, I would pay more. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 06:43:13 pm »
Hi Reagan,

I agree with you. My preference is for the box presentation. I took both styles to the markets on Sunday to get a bit of feedback and just help to jazz up the display. Both packages got positive feedback. It was quite interesting actually. Some preferred the box and others preferred the crate. Ended up selling half the crates that I took. One of my daughters made the point that people like choice and by mixing and matching presentations through altering package contents and adding variety in the design of the boxes, customers can individualise their purchase. She was right in the comment that she made. I also mentioned that I would like to try presenting some of the packages without cellophane wrapping. When I was out playing with the grandkids, two of the girls did this:

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 09:21:43 pm »
The final package/ presentation method was to use a nice, decorative glass jar and turn a wooden lid with the standard metal lid glued into a recess. This takes a little more time but it does really enhance the display. I made 5 for the markets and sold them all. They were very popular and will be a regular feature at the stall.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 02:27:32 am »
Hi Les,
For gifts I like every thing that you have pictured.
Though I like the basket, Personally I like the wood containers more.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 06:51:33 am »
I like to have small jars and three different colored honeys.  Put all three in the same package.  People are amazed because they think honey is just one flavor and just one color and it gets their attention and opens a conversation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 08:06:24 am »
Good thinking Michael. That will be the next step to add the extra variety to the display. Thanks so much for that. I have already chosen the jar to use. I will get into it when I can purchase a few hex jars to try.

Cheers

Les