Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building frames  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Building frames
« on: February 21, 2023, 07:18:36 pm »
This may not be one of those necessary things for us to do as beekeepers although it's certainly useful to know how to do. For whatever reason I was having trouble finding info on building your own frames and finally came across this series of videos and thought they were informative and interesting. Hopefully helpful to anyone else out there interested in the topic.

https://youtu.be/r8Zx4uRQx9k

https://youtu.be/6ZoB6c-kuuc
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Building frames
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 10:27:57 pm »
I build my own frame and did watch these good videos before doing so.
Cheers
gww

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:58:48 pm »
I have made all of mine too Gww. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 12:08:10 am »
I'm planning on making some this year myself. Mostly for the experience of it. I also have two friends that are very interested in getting into beekeeping that both enjoy woodworking and thought it may be a  step into the beekeeping world.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 12:18:37 am »
I use a table saw, a sliding miter saw, and two router tables with two different router set ups for different cuts. I wound up making a template where I can cut 10 cuts with one pass. It?s dangerous but it works for me.
I have cut so many that I am sick of doing it lol.  :shocked: :grin:

I found a manufacturer in China who could make and ship cheaper than I could do it by buying in bulk. I toyed with the idea of buying a large quantity and co-oping but I did not do it. Mine are made right here in the USA in my own garage.  lol

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 01:09:05 am »
Hi Occam,

It?s good fun making your own frames from scratch. Designing and making templates and jigs is possibly the best part. After making about 4 or 500 of them, the novelty tends to wear off. I would thoroughly recommend it just for the experience, especially if you are new to beekeeping and want to learn some skills. These days I find that there are more productive ways to spend my time but initially, I built my first dozen hives for no cost. It was only the time investment and that racked up quite a few hours. If you had to purchase you timber, you may find that it is actually cheaper to buy frames. Good luck with the project. I am sure that you will enjoy the experience.

Cheers

Les

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:15:34 am »
I have made every piece of equipment that makes up a hive. When I made the frames I shaped long sections of 2x6s and then I sliced them into the final shape. Saves a lot of time. There are 2 things that I don?t make anymore, the frames and the boxes. They are not worth the time and money it takes to make them. The rest I made, the tops, the screen bottoms and the screen top boards.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 10:11:48 am »
I run foundationless cause I was too cheap to buy foundation.  i do like jim with scrap pieces of 2x6.  I cut the top bar into a V as a comb guide.  I got most of my ideals from Michael bush's web site.  For me it is pure hobby and has worked well but did take two winters building one off stuff to get about twenty hives worth of equipment.  If a person had real ambition and wanted to do more then piddle, he/she would need to make it more assembly line like.  I like jim had two cheap table saws with one always having a dado blade on it.  I also have a craftsmans 4 inch planer that works perfectly for taking the side bars of the frame down where I end up with my 3/8ths between each when pushed against each other.
I would hate to try and make a living off of making my own frames.
Cheers
gww

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:25 am »
I wish I had time to make my one.  I like them 1/8" narrower all the way around and I like a bevel on the top bar and no grooves anywhere.  Ever once in a while I get someone to make me a batch of narrow foundationless frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 03:39:19 pm »
I cut to the desired length. Next rip the width then on to one of the router tables for the frame rest cut. Below are such frame tops at this stage.

Here is a close up. After this stage they will go to another home built jig where the side notches will be inserted, 10 frames tops per swipe, then flipped over and the other side will follow etc.

Phillip

After tops are finished I start all over with side production. Next will be the bottoms. From there, these parts will go to a frame jig where I assemble 10 frames each go round.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:41:29 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 06:33:46 pm »
Just curious, but where do y'all buy your frames from? I'll likely make some eventually for the experience but looking ahead at my spring I don't think I'll have time.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 06:43:31 pm »
Just curious, but where do y'all buy your frames from? I'll likely make some eventually for the experience but looking ahead at my spring I don't think I'll have time.
I usually buy equipment from BetterBee.  They have the best prices.  I will sometimes buy from my local-ish bee places too, if I'm out that way for another reason. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 06:46:17 pm »
I buy all of my frames from Mann lake. Buy 100 or more to save money.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:17 pm »
I buy all of my frames from Mann lake. Buy 100 or more to save money.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 06:12:39 am »
The world keeps changing.  I used to buy my frames mostly from Walter T. Kelley because they would make them for me with no groove in the top and bottom bar and I would cut a bevel on the top bar.  I bought a thousand of those and haven't run out since...  So many places have either gone broke or been bought out...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 12:00:37 pm »
Yea it was nice when mann lake had to compete with kelley beekeeping.  Between lack of competition and the price of lumber, supplies aren't cheap anymore.  The last frames I bought were from Miller bee supply out of north wilkesboro, NC.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 12:25:11 pm »
I buy most of my equipment now from Miller Bee Supply.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 01:33:19 pm »
When I first began beekeeping I bought things from Man Lake. The service ('was') good.  I have later bought things from a smaller company, Barnyard Bees located in Georgia. Service from these folks has been outstanding with a pleasant experience.... But again, my frames are made here at home...

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 05:09:04 pm »
If I buy frames, they cost me $1.68 each if I buy a box of 100. To make a frame from non structural timber (where I have to cut around knots and defects) cost me around 80c each to make. If I use 1st grade timber, there is no saving at all. Access to free secondhand, untreated pine is a bonus. If you have the time, it is a worthwhile exercise, especially during the cooler months of winter. When you first start keeping bees, the costs just keep on mounting up. Buying boxes, frames, foundation, suits, extracting gear etc etc etc, burns a hole in your pocket rather quickly. Anything that you can make yourself helps to alleviate that issue. The major bonus is the satisfaction of doing it yourself even if there is no major cost savings. It is all part of the experience and knowledge gained in this amazing pastime.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 08:17:23 pm »
When I first began beekeeping I bought things from Man Lake. The service ('was') good.  I have later bought things from a smaller company, Barnyard Bees located in Georgia. Service from these folks has been outstanding with a pleasant experience.... But again, my frames are made here at home...

Much of Baryards woodenware comes from Man Lake but they have lots of items that are not sold by Man Lake. Great folks, one hour drive for me in the pleasant direction away from the rural burbs of Atlanta :happy: Now if the tiny start up just five minutes away will grow as large as Barnyard!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 08:26:17 pm »
William Bagwell
"Great folks"

Yes they are William. I bought 4 queens from them late in my first season, (September). I talked to David on the phone concerning my concerns and he helped guide me through that first Winter with 'thriving' bees in the Spring. Yes great folks...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 12:27:48 pm »
The world keeps changing.  I used to buy my frames mostly from Walter T. Kelley because they would make them for me with no groove in the top and bottom bar and I would cut a bevel on the top bar.  I bought a thousand of those and haven't run out since...  So many places have either gone broke or been bought out...

Walter T Kelly must have been a popular supply company to buy from. I have heard Tim Durham, "The Walls Bee Man", suggest that he bought from that company, in some of his 'older' videos. 

Phillip

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2023, 02:17:53 pm »
I used to build my own. But when I figured the time it was costing me it was cheaper to purchase them by the pallet. I think the last ones came from dadant. I purchased from Brushy mountain till they went out of business, moved to Mann Lake until the customer service got poor. Ive been pretty happy with Dadant for the few things I still purchase.