Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fresh Sausage Anyone?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Fresh Sausage Anyone?
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:37:41 am »
I just read Iddees' topic  "Making fresh sausage" under the humor section where I responded:

"iddee I had some 'fresh' homemade sausage brought and given to me just very recently! These fellows went wild hog hunting and was careful to make the sausage from sow hogs. They said the hogs were of very lean meat and therefore picked us several pounds of hog fat to add in the mix from a butcher friend. They claim it is better than Jimmy Dean, Tennessee Pride, and Evens! I look forward to getting into it! lol"

For those of you who make and blend your own sausage, tell us about your sausage making experiences. What are your choices in herbs and spices. Do you make it Hot; Medium; Mild? etc...

Phillip

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:55:03 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Fresh Sausage Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 05:00:16 pm »
My son just made a fresh batch with 3/4 venison and 1/4 pork fat. Very good.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 06:22:48 am »
My son just gave me some.  Pretty much the same.  Venison with pork fat.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:45:07 am »
The sausage I make that isn't cased is venison and pork fat. I season it with different things but sage is a good one if you like the traditional breakfast sausage taste. I'm going to give a go at making goose sausage that has a mixture of pork fat and seasonings too, that will be cased.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 03:07:26 pm »
You have to have sage to make sausage. After all, the word is sau, which is german for sow, or pig, then the word sage. SAU-SAGE
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 03:15:48 pm »
We always had a 'sage bed'. We grew or own sage.  Home ground sausage with the right seasonings is hard to beat!

Phillip

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:46:06 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything