Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How is Bird Hunting in your area? (Quail)  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
How is Bird Hunting in your area? (Quail)
« on: November 26, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »
We had some mighty good quail hunting here in North Mississippis when I was growing up. The birds have seemed to go the way of the Buffalo 'in my area' these days...

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 12:36:13 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: How is Bird Hunting in your area? (Quail)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 02:34:19 pm »
Same here but the wild turkeys are back.
Cheers
gww

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 02:45:38 pm »
Our wild turkeys are back too. (plenty) Never had many when I was kid, (away from the Mississippi River Levee area)... They seem to be everywhere in my area now. I sure miss the birds (quail)....

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 09:06:49 pm »
Have not seen quail around here since 1998. Use to have plenty of coveys of them to scare the crap out of us when walking across a field.

the TWRA brought the turkeys back in and have several around. Kind of funny how they move around and have travel routes they use.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 10:42:29 pm »
We also have lots of turkeys; we see them everywhere.  I'm not a hunter, but looking at the statistics from the NC Wildlife Commission, populations of bobwhite quail are low compared to previous years, but we have enough that there is still a season to hunt them.  At our previous property I heard a male bobwhite calling very close by once.  I whistled back to him and he answered me, although I never saw him.  Even when our populations were higher, we never had an abundance of quail in the mountains, as they are more of a field bird, but we used to have grouse, and their populations are also low, so there is a lot of focus on managing habitat for them.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 11:08:28 pm »
Not many quail around here anymore.  Habitat loss is the main culprit.  The cleaning up of fence rows and the constant mowing of roadsides along with the planting of fescue to prevent erosion has left them no place to live. 

And yes there are plenty of turkeys around.  They are a bird that can handle living close to humans.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 09:46:48 am »
I haven't see a pheasant in these parts in 2 decades.  I haven't heard the quail in about a decade.  Lots of wild turkeys.  There used to be a lot of both pheasants and quail with an occasional chukar, grouse or prairie chicken.  There didn't used to be so many turkeys...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 11:47:51 am »
From my location of North Mississippi over to Concord, Tn. (which is almost due North of Atlanta), up to Evansville, Indiana on the East side of the Mississippi River; and from my location West of the Mississippi River to Missouri on up to Nehawka, NE by your reports, shows the problem is the same. Thanks for your replies thus far.

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 02:15:07 pm »
I think a big part is the way they do corn now.  They used to "pick" it with a corn picker.  This left a lot of standing stalks and a quite a few ears on the stalks.  Now the combines leave nothing.  They chew up the stalks and spit out dust.  No ears on the ground.  None on standing stalks.  Also the way they grow corn it's so dense you can't walk through it.  There used to be rows with space between them enough that you could walk.  Now they are just wall to wall corn until harvest and then nothing.  Then there are the chemicals...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 08:23:15 pm »
I remember about the time coyotes, brown recluse, and fire ants started showing up in my area was about the time quail numbers began to drop. I do not know if there is any reverent influence with coyotes or fire ants. From what I understand both have always been a part of Texas, and the bird numbers there are still adequate. Any one from Texas have anything to add?

Phillip

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 08:42:05 pm »
Seemed like coyote numbers went up when the money kinda dropped out of trapping.  Maybe starting mid 80s.
Cheers

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 10:30:26 pm »
That's a good point gww. The coyote numbers exploded here from none in the 70's, to what seemed like everywhere in my area about that time.

Phillip
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:42:54 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 10:52:21 pm »
   In New England there is no more small  Animal farms.  If there is. The fields are not built the same way.. Or have been reconstructed. But do not having hedgerows.  Not nearly enough transition between the forest and the field.  As compared to when I was a kid. Also  harvesting corn is different. Or any other crop even Hay. We will take hay for example. When I was a kid .Farmers cut hayfield 2 times a year. At very slow speeds. Maybe 3 miles an hour. For about the last 20 to 30 years.. Corn and hay is harvested @ about 12 miles an hour. And hayfields are gone through 4 to 5 times in one summer.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:03:13 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 10:52:54 pm »
I remember about the time coyotes, brown recluse, and fire ants started showing up in my area was about the time quail numbers began to drop. I do not know if there is any reverent influence with coyotes or fire ants. From what I understand both have always been a part of Texas, and the bird numbers there are still adequate. Any one from Texas have anything to add?

Phillip
I'm slinging a little off topic here, but just some thoughts I had reading this post.  1) I wasn't aware until now that coyotes aren't native to the eastern US.  I just looked it up and apparently they moved in to fill the ecological void left by the extermination of the eastern red and grey wolves.  2) There are native fire ants that have always been a part of the southeastern US too, but there was an invasive species from South America accidentally introduced in the 1930s.  That's why it seems there are more than there used to be.  3) Brown recluse spiders are also native to the southeastern US, so they've always been a part of your region too.  By the way, everyone always says that you can ID a brown recluse by the fiddle-shape on their back, and that's not true.  Not all brown recluses have the fiddle, and many other species of spider do.  Actually, to definitively ID a brown recluse requires a microscope.  :smile:           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 11:06:06 pm »
The first we heard of the brown recluse (at my location) was when I was a young boy, it was all over the news in Memphis Tn as well as the news papers. Is wasn't long before we begin seeing them. We did not know them as brown recluse at that time they were called fiddlers because of the indisputable fiddle shape in their back.

For coyotes: Our neighbor moved here from Germany, purchasing 2,000 plus acres. Along with his own land, he made friends with land owners surrounding his property, gaining permission to place white painted fence 'jumps' all around. He was a Fox Hunter and had the grandest time entertaining guest. It seemed during some of gatherings there may be as many as thirty to fifty horse trailers show up on 'hunt day'.  It was a grand event! Complete with the red coats, black helmets, and tall boots etc....

It wasn't long before Coyotes 'mysteriously' showed up on this side of the Mississippi River; The first 'as far as I knew or know'......

Phillip

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:16:32 am by Ben Framed »

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 11:18:15 pm »
benf...
It seemed during some of gatherings there may be as many as thirty to fifty horse trailers show up on 'hunt day'. 
Sounds like what beefest will look like this year.  Only it will be tents and rvs.
Cheers
gww

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 11:18:55 pm »
benf...
It seemed during some of gatherings there may be as many as thirty to fifty horse trailers show up on 'hunt day'. 
Sounds like what beefest will look like this year.
Cheers
gww

Wouldn't that be something!!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 11:40:07 pm »
   In New England there is no more small  Animal farms.  If there is. The fields are not built the same way.. Or have been reconstructed. By not having hedgerows.  Not nearly enough transition between the forest and the field.  As compared to when I was a kid. Also  harvesting corn is different. Or any other crop even Hay. We will take hay for example. When I was a kid .Farmers cut hayfield 2 times a year. At very slow speeds. Maybe 3 miles an hour. For about the last 20 to 30 years.. Corn and hay is harvested @ about 12 miles an hour. And hayfields are gone through 4 to 5 times in one summer.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134  😊

Farming ways and the lay of the land has surely changed Jim. Not good for birds...  I sure miss 'em'....

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 11:55:47 pm »
I recall on one particular hunt, where I had a one time experience. A covey got up and I busted one on the first shot and the  second shot sent a bird straight👆up in the air like a helicopter, higher than a tall tree top. It descended the same way, but slow and 'straight' down.

I was so intrigued that I did not notice where the singles might have went. Later when cleaning the bird I found not one pellet in its body. I did examine and found only one pellet to the head. It was apparent this pellet to the brain is what caused the odd behavior of the bird.

Sure made a good breakfast the next morning! 

Phillip

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:35:50 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2022, 05:53:04 am »
I'm slinging a little off topic here, but just some thoughts I had reading this post.  1) I wasn't aware until now that coyotes aren't native to the eastern US.  I just looked it up and apparently they moved in to fill the ecological void left by the extermination of the eastern red and grey wolves.  2) There are native fire ants that have always been a part of the southeastern US too, but there was an invasive species from South America accidentally introduced in the 1930s.  That's why it seems there are more than there used to be.  3) Brown recluse spiders are also native to the southeastern US, so they've always been a part of your region too.  By the way, everyone always says that you can ID a brown recluse by the fiddle-shape on their back, and that's not true.  Not all brown recluses have the fiddle, and many other species of spider do.  Actually, to definitively ID a brown recluse requires a microscope.  :smile:         

As stated above; The first we heard of the brown recluse (at my location) was when I was a young boy, it was all over the news in Memphis Tn. as well as the news papers. Is wasn't long before we begin seeing them 'or noticing them'. We did not know them as brown recluse at that time, they were called fiddlers because of the 'indisputable' fiddle shape in their back. But according to Gertsch by 1958 the spider was already here. It wasn't until the spider was broadcast on the news, about 1970ish that we began noticing them in my area... By the way, I have never seen a spider with exact same shape as the Brown Recluse that 'did not' have the fiddle shape on its back. I have looked at many through the years up close and never failed to see the fiddle, and never needed a microscope to see it...   :grin:

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/spiders/brown_recluse_spider.htm

Distribution Loxosceles reclusa was described by Gertsch and Mulaik (1940) from Texas. At the time of the first revision of the genus Loxosceles in the Americas (Gertsch 1958), the known distribution ranged from Central Texas to southern Kansas, east through middle Missouri to western Tennessee and northern Alabama, and south to southern Mississippi. Gorham (1968) added Illinois, Kentucky, and northern Georgia. Later, he added Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio, with scattered introductions in other states, including Florida; his map indicated a record in the vicinity of Tallahassee (Gorham 1970).

Here are many more pictures of the spider which was first know as the fiddler spider to us, thanks to the Memphis News Stations.

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=fiddler+spiders+first+discovered+in+mississippi&fir=GxAOyzwsJcINNM%252C-hvsJn3lG7pxYM%252C_%253BiR1Hr3fWXKTkwM%252CMFNyF_sBH6On5M%252C_%253BBQ2-5IWTW2RkHM%252C7nKQsLDlD5PAtM%252C_%253BYORH8mrj0Cyc2M%252CynL1wanOVxrAZM%252C_%253Beb4E_QB2Cud20M%252Cx2UZrooFgIHVTM%252C_%253BQ3ooVZddKPDVgM%252ClQR-vERHUU3_sM%252C_%253BeTPKgvntlBrfRM%252CGRL5li1ygdVNIM%252C_%253BExxM-HCyCjQkYM%252C73sP-cnAcmpaKM%252C_%253BsFrmS-aLnHst4M%252CUJAZLtY-vOciZM%252C_%253BRq6VRs74bKxwvM%252CDoVM0l4cWDBFeM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kR5TjChkNGTw7e5X6c4E-Ew5u3iYg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj73tGlkuf7AhXelGoFHQsvCDUQjJkEegQIKxAC&biw=1152&bih=585&dpr=2.5
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:54:36 am by Ben Framed »