Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is Australia Still Varroa Free?  (Read 3301 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Is Australia Still Varroa Free?
« on: February 20, 2022, 12:20:51 am »
Is Australia still the one Continent which remains varroa free? The last I read of varroa in your country was in 2016 and the situation was handled well. All clear so far?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Is Australia Still Varroa Free?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 12:58:13 am »
All clear so far.

Biossecurity is on constant watch.

I don't know if varroa could be introduced via honey. In recent years honey imports have been allowed.

The reason given is " trade agreements" - personally i think this is  silly. We have no idea how SHB's got here. We know that a lot of hives were lost and I simply can't imagine the damage Varroa would create.
I'm at an age where I would probably stop beekeeping.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 02:37:52 am »
After reading what you guys go through with varroa, I?d be in a similar situation to max2. Beekeeping is hard enough without adding another bug to the situation. I reckon I?d drop down to about half a dozen hives  if and when varroa arrives. It must really take the fun out of the hobby.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 04:45:14 am »
Treating for varroa is no hassle, many different ways of doing it. Some more effective than others and some more labour intensive than others, depends on your ethical view point. These days I stick miticide strips in  each hive, takes about 30 minutes and remove 6 weeks later....another 30 minutes.
I check drop counts a few months afterwards and if any seem high they get vaped with Oxalic Acid.  With a sublimox it's about 1 minute per hive.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 05:17:30 pm »
Sounds easy enough but there is a cost in time and money.
At this point - and for the last 46 years - I have been able to produce honey without the use of any chemicals.

I use not artificials in my farming aspects and use a minimal amount ( ticks) in cattle.

At my age to make such a huge change would be a big challenge. I gues " why bother".

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 06:37:56 pm »
" why bother".

Because, at (our) age, we need to keep going in order to keep going!  :)  And it is worth the effort to sustain a few hives just to enjoy the presence of having bees flying around.   Besides, I like reading posts from other bee keepers in other areas/countries.  Very interesting.
jimmy

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 08:27:21 pm »
Still SHB free here too.
32+ days in a row over 35?C (95F) is starting to get to me too? :tongue: