Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another chicken question  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Another chicken question
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2022, 03:54:49 pm »
IDK.  I'd like to test them against our hawks, but those suckers are so big and fast...We have owls too, but they have not been to much of a problem.  they seem to like to shred the rabbits and we try to get the chickens in early. 
We ARE fortunate to have tons of rabbits, voles, moles, and mice.   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2022, 08:07:33 pm »
The problem we had with hawks verses chickens was not so much the big hawks in our area, it was the smaller size hawks which were fast and efficient. They would swoop up a baby chick as fast as a cats eye wink, (so to speak, AND GONE) lol  Without a good yard dog and 'sometimes' with one, an occasional fox would catch a chicken coming off the roost. Possums and Coons were in 'abundance' at our home as well and seemed to prefer climbing a tree at night to fill their need. (I suppose location may play a part in chickens as well as bees?} Taken in consideration of the numbers of predators available at a location and how quick a good yard dog may be. Tojo the half German Shepard half Bull dog, was Johnie on the spot! Tojo eliminated many predators. With Tojo around a predator was taking his life at its own risk, if it had chickens on its menu at 'his' (Tojos') place! lol 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2022, 09:45:54 pm »
Kathy,
Try getting some chickens with Jungle foul in them. Even at one month they are on and rarely get killed. You can have some of ours. 😊 We are trying to reduce our numbers. Actually we have a dozen of them in the back of the turkey cage, they went in there on their own, we are giving them away.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2022, 08:32:38 am »
I've never had the jungle fowl, but I've had most every breed.  The ones I've had who survived the best where the Araucanas or the Ameraucanas.  They tended to roost in the trees and as the flock dwindled due to predators they were the ones that were left.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2022, 08:55:39 am »
We ARE fortunate to have tons of rabbits, voles, moles, and mice.   :grin:
That is what attracts the birds of prey.  When the food source is depleted they will leave.  You can protect against birds.  It is the ground animals that are hard to keep out of the coup.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2022, 10:58:49 am »
That is what attracts the birds of prey.

And everything else.  Found a stripped rabbit out there yesterday, but it was in the grass so I couldn't find tracks.  Probably coyote. 

I don't think I have ever seen Jungle Chickens around here.  I'd probably have to order them in. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2022, 09:50:08 pm »
Kathy,
Come to BeeFest and take some home with you. 😆
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2022, 11:35:39 am »
Lol.  I'm sure the airline would love that.  Guess I could drive, but I don't know if I could do 4 or 5 days in the car with chickens!  Thanks for the offer though  :cheesy:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2022, 11:37:56 am »
When the hens come off the nest when sitting, make a startling (cackling sound) and fly like quail. I have never eaten one. I wonder if they taste like quail lol? If so you may want to keep them Jim; you might have a treasure trove of delicacy at your disposal. 
 :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.